1. Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, I’m at the end of the tether with VW and this Golf so hoping for some advice from people who have been in similar situations. I got my Golf 8 at the end of September last year but due to the pandemic and lockdowns haven’t really driven it much/far until more recently where we’ve noticed a lot of little issues to the point we didn’t even feel safe in it anymore, things like:

- Lane assist has on at least 2 occasions tried to steer us onto the other side of the road (So that’s now switched off every time we have to use it), this is the big one as you have to remember to switch it off every time you use the car

- Loads of errors regarding travel assist not being available/parking brake issues/12V electrical system errors

- Car randomly slams on the brakes when parking, the sensors appear to see things that aren’t there despite being clean

- The climate controls aren’t illuminated at night and the voice control is completely useless so you’re left fumbling around with the slow touchscreen rather than paying attention to the road.

There are many more little niggles but in the end the dealer finally requested the car back in after calls and emails, we had to copy in VW UK to get a response in the end. All parties agreed the Golf has teething problems as is well documented online. We were given another Golf 8 as a courtesy car and it felt like a completely different car, didn’t error so much and the lane assist worked fine, so much so that we asked to keep it. When I caught up with VW UK they told me the dealer was pursuing a car swap as a resolution.

Fast forward a few days, the dealer has done an update to the infotainment system which in fairness has sped it up (Version 1668 appears to be a decent version so far, it was on 1664 before). They have driven it I believe around 30 miles whilst they’ve had it and haven’t been able to replicate the other faults because they’re sporadic in nature and therefore they’ve handed it back and no longer acknowledge that the Golf has teething problems like they initially did (Unfortunately this wasn’t in writing…). They’ve simply told me to turn off problematic features.

VW FS are saying because the car is over 6 months old there is nothing that can be done, even when asked to be lenient because of the pandemic and the inability to have done much driving during lockdowns. VW UK say they can’t do anything else if the retailer has found no issues. The retailer obviously can’t replicate the faults.

Is there anything else I can do to try and pursue a rejection short of handing them the car back every time an issue happens and going through this whole process again? We just don’t feel safe taking our 5 month old in the car anymore through fear that the lane assist or something else is going to misbehave, on something that realistically costs nearly £30k you wouldn’t think you’d have to keep turning bits of the car off because they’re unsafe.

Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperSniper93 View Post
    Hi everyone, I’m at the end of the tether with VW and this Golf so hoping for some advice from people who have been in similar situations. I got my Golf 8 at the end of September last year but due to the pandemic and lockdowns haven’t really driven it much/far until more recently where we’ve noticed a lot of little issues to the point we didn’t even feel safe in it anymore, things like:

- Lane assist has on at least 2 occasions tried to steer us onto the other side of the road (So that’s now switched off every time we have to use it), this is the big one as you have to remember to switch it off every time you use the car

- Loads of errors regarding travel assist not being available/parking brake issues/12V electrical system errors

- Car randomly slams on the brakes when parking, the sensors appear to see things that aren’t there despite being clean

- The climate controls aren’t illuminated at night and the voice control is completely useless so you’re left fumbling around with the slow touchscreen rather than paying attention to the road.

There are many more little niggles but in the end the dealer finally requested the car back in after calls and emails, we had to copy in VW UK to get a response in the end. All parties agreed the Golf has teething problems as is well documented online. We were given another Golf 8 as a courtesy car and it felt like a completely different car, didn’t error so much and the lane assist worked fine, so much so that we asked to keep it. When I caught up with VW UK they told me the dealer was pursuing a car swap as a resolution.

Fast forward a few days, the dealer has done an update to the infotainment system which in fairness has sped it up (Version 1668 appears to be a decent version so far, it was on 1664 before). They have driven it I believe around 30 miles whilst they’ve had it and haven’t been able to replicate the other faults because they’re sporadic in nature and therefore they’ve handed it back and no longer acknowledge that the Golf has teething problems like they initially did (Unfortunately this wasn’t in writing…). They’ve simply told me to turn off problematic features.

VW FS are saying because the car is over 6 months old there is nothing that can be done, even when asked to be lenient because of the pandemic and the inability to have done much driving during lockdowns. VW UK say they can’t do anything else if the retailer has found no issues. The retailer obviously can’t replicate the faults.

Is there anything else I can do to try and pursue a rejection short of handing them the car back every time an issue happens and going through this whole process again? We just don’t feel safe taking our 5 month old in the car anymore through fear that the lane assist or something else is going to misbehave, on something that realistically costs nearly £30k you wouldn’t think you’d have to keep turning bits of the car off because they’re unsafe.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi @PiperSniper93

I understand your frustration as I had the same issues as you including the 12V issues. I started another thread here with my experiences and I can say that i was successful in rejecting my golf bought in November and returned in April, having spend a month in the dealership at that point.

What worked to my advantage was that I had issues literally a mile down the road from the dealership after driving the car away ( very loud rattles) and a battery warning when getting home. It was the 1.5eTSI Style in my case.

The best guide I found online was this one... Rejecting a car - your consumer rights | Expert Advice | The Car Expert

After 6 months the law is in the dealers favour but if you have been logging all these issues with them at all times and have proof then it might work for you.

In my case I got all my cash deposit back plus a months payment and some equity I had with my trade in as well as the service plan refund.

All of the issues you describe are present on all new VW cars across the group such as the Leon, Octavia etc.

I don't learn my lessons as I ordered a lease on a Cupra Formentor V2 which is probably based on the same software like the Golf. Hopefully by October....the software will be sorted.

Good luck but in my experience....unless you have a helpfull dealer, it can get tricky and in your case sounds like they are not helping much.

Sorry mate.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelm713 View Post
    Hi @PiperSniper93

I understand your frustration as I had the same issues as you including the 12V issues. I started another thread here with my experiences and I can say that i was successful in rejecting my golf bought in November and returned in April, having spend a month in the dealership at that point.

What worked to my advantage was that I had issues literally a mile down the road from the dealership after driving the car away ( very loud rattles) and a battery warning when getting home. It was the 1.5eTSI Style in my case.

The best guide I found online was this one... Rejecting a car - your consumer rights | Expert Advice | The Car Expert

After 6 months the law is in the dealers favour but if you have been logging all these issues with them at all times and have proof then it might work for you.

In my case I got all my cash deposit back plus a months payment and some equity I had with my trade in as well as the service plan refund.

All of the issues you describe are present on all new VW cars across the group such as the Leon, Octavia etc.

I don't learn my lessons as I ordered a lease on a Cupra Formentor V2 which is probably based on the same software like the Golf. Hopefully by October....the software will be sorted.

Good luck but in my experience....unless you have a helpfull dealer, it can get tricky and in your case sounds like they are not helping much.

Sorry mate.

Thanks so much for this info, this is the frustrating part in that the issues are completely random and never materialise when the dealer looks. You were lucky and I’m pleased you managed to get a rejection, I can’t say I blame you on the Formentor, I would have one in a heartbeat!

I did report issues to the dealer at the beginning of the year but their response went into my junk folder for some reason so I didn’t see it, when I tried to reopen the dialogue they didn’t come back to me, I wonder if that was to get me past the 6 month mark so that rejection wasn’t so easy but I’ll never be able to prove it…

Funnily enough one of the errors did show again after they dropped it back off so I guess I’m just going to have to keep pressing them on it.

Useful to know that all of the new VW Group cars are affected, I’m sure I saw somewhere that similar issues were present on the Leon so it makes sense.

Thanks again for the info and good luck with the Formentor!

0 0 0

4. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for this info, this is the frustrating part in that the issues are completely random and never materialise when the dealer looks. You were lucky and I’m pleased you managed to get a rejection, I can’t say I blame you on the Formentor, I would have one in a heartbeat!

I did report issues to the dealer at the beginning of the year but their response went into my junk folder for some reason so I didn’t see it, when I tried to reopen the dialogue they didn’t come back to me, I wonder if that was to get me past the 6 month mark so that rejection wasn’t so easy but I’ll never be able to prove it…

Funnily enough one of the errors did show again after they dropped it back off so I guess I’m just going to have to keep pressing them on it.

Useful to know that all of the new VW Group cars are affected, I’m sure I saw somewhere that similar issues were present on the Leon so it makes sense.

Thanks again for the info and good luck with the Formentor!
    No problem

Here is my other thread:
    On rejection!

Just try talking to VWFS directly as they can authorise the rejection. The dealer is essentially loosing money on this and they are not keen to work with you. I had done 2,000 miles on the car and about 600 of them were to the dealer and back plus them driving it for three weeks.

I loved the car and none of the faults were life threatening. I either got unlucky or had very little tolerance...probably the latter! I have another car in the family from a well known reliable Japanese brand that has never failed me but financially it does not make sense to keep it. New cars should just work.

Having to travel 20 miles to entertain VW's moods was not good in my opinion. If VW had a policy of fixing the issues they would have done it. Unfortunately they expect us to complain about specific issues before we they authorise an update or component replacement. Hence why different cars have different parts as some people get the same issues or their owners don't bother reporting them. vW dealer told me as much that unlike a computer where it downloads all the software at once, VW has to pre-authorise every single update/change.

With work, childcare and life in general...who has the time to sit around dealerships being told ' we cannot replicate' and you then go on to replicate it the next day??

It's a mess really!

0 0 0

5. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelm713 View Post
    No problem

Here is my other thread:
    On rejection!

Just try talking to VWFS directly as they can authorise the rejection. The dealer is essentially loosing money on this and they are not keen to work with you. I had done 2,000 miles on the car and about 600 of them were to the dealer and back plus them driving it for three weeks.

I loved the car and none of the faults were life threatening. I either got unlucky or had very little tolerance...probably the latter! I have another car in the family from a well known reliable Japanese brand that has never failed me but financially it does not make sense to keep it. New cars should just work.

Having to travel 20 miles to entertain VW's moods was not good in my opinion. If VW had a policy of fixing the issues they would have done it. Unfortunately they expect us to complain about specific issues before we they authorise an update or component replacement. Hence why different cars have different parts as some people get the same issues or their owners don't bother reporting them. vW dealer told me as much that unlike a computer where it downloads all the software at once, VW has to pre-authorise every single update/change.

With work, childcare and life in general...who has the time to sit around dealerships being told ' we cannot replicate' and you then go on to replicate it the next day??

It's a mess really!

Just read your thread, I remember reading it a while back actually and hadn’t made the connection.

I’m exactly the same, the car is lovely but these issues totally ruin it as it just becomes annoying and you get a fear of not knowing what it will do next and when.

VW do seem to operate in a bit of a unique way regarding fixes being approved, I’ve personally not seen that before with manufacturers outside the VW Group but I guess in this way they keep very tight control of warranty repairs and spending after Dieselgate… I was told a very similar thing about update approval when I spoke to the dealer as I asked about taking the Golf in regularly to have the updates installed but this didn’t appear to be possible, it would only be considered if an issue presented itself that the dealer could replicate.

I agree with waiting around at dealerships, as I’m sure you know with a baby in the family there isn’t a lot of free time to spend with dealers trying to replicate issues!

I’ve gone back to VWFS with the evidence that the issues were reported within 6 months from purchase and again mentioned a rejection so we’ll see what happens next week, thanks again mate.

0 1 0

6. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Just an update on this, today the dealer agreed to buy back the car and return my deposit and equivalent of part exchange equity, time to go car shopping again!

All in all the Golf is a lovely car and I don’t doubt that once the software is in the right place that it’ll be great to drive, but right now it’s just an absolute let down. Pleased to be seeing the back of it.

0 1 0

7. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Just thought I'd post my experience here.

I've basically been down the ombudsman route in order to force VW to take back my faulty VW golf 8 style which I'd of had 1 year in September.

Issues I've had.

1). Warnings and dings - fixed by VW with new steering loom.
    2). ACC slow down on motorway to 43 mph - Happened twice, once before fixes and SW update and once after.
    3). Sat nav ignored No Toll Roads options and did it anyway - Happened post fixes
    4). Unresponsive buttons and infotainment
    5). Infotainment sound system crashes mid journey. No sound, Volume up unresponsive, Volume down shows volume going down still with no sound, meanwhile the track shows as playing.
    6). SOS warning light + message + stuck on loading settings screen

I had the car in out of the shop multiple times and they could never recreate or diagnose any of them. then on one occasion point 5 happened as I was driving away and I was able to show them.
    Master tech then tells me he's seen the issue before, sigh. They then replaced the 5f infotainment unit but the issues persisted.

My gripe is that I asked VW to knock money off the car or put me in another vehicle as in its current state its not worth the £361 a month that I'm paying for it.
    Ombudsman sided with me and now VW are having to pay me the deposit I put plus 10% of the last 6 months finance + 8% on top. Plus VW pay the ombudsman fee of £500 on top.
    In total its costing VW nearly 2.5k not including the losses made on the retail price + repairs costs they've done. It would have been more economical for them to honour my initial request,
    but now its their problem.

To top it off, They're having British car Auctions collect which suggests to me they're going straight for a resale without trying to fix the car in which the issues are still persistent.
    one of the stipulations by BCA is that there be no warning lights, and low and behold right after I arrange collection, point 6 in my lists manifests itself. I've since managed the clear the warning light and the car is now parked and not being
    used now until collection, after which its no longer my problem.

Throughout all of this I've been met with scepticism and resistance from VW. Quite shocked and appalled at how hard they fight to keep a customer paying for a car that's faulty.
    I've a mechanic friend who works for VW and he told me that the Golf 8s are running new software on much of the golf 7 infotainment hardware and it simply can't handle it.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to reject the car, go with the ombudsman as VW are uncompromising. It's taken a few months but I have my result.
    The ombudsman told me that a retailer has 1 chance to fix the car, for example, if your clutch goes and VW repair it, then a week later your brakes have an error,
    Then that first fix attempt is all VW are entitled to and as such you're eligible for rejection. in my case I had 3 fix attempts, Software updates, Steering loom replacement, and 5f infotainment replacement.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a golf 8, wait for the 8.5 and then some.

Real shame as I bought this car in good faith and I'm now returning it and going with another brand.

Anyway, I hope that my experience is of use to anyone in a similar position.
    Last edited by djangophi; 14-08-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo

1 1 0

8. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    That’s great advice, thank you for shearing.
    Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve
    2014 Passat Estate
    Executive Style
    2.0 TDI Bluemotion
    Tungsten Silver

0 1 0

9. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    And they want us to buy self driving cars... not me thankyou!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

10. Re: Rejection Advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks in advance!
    Returning my Golf 8 and getting an older Tiguan because the lack of tactile controls is simply Dangerous IMO. It is also constantly beeping about one function or another which are not available, all well documented on line and no resulting from Golf to date.

0 0 0