Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First thing first am a newbie and would like to say hi
    I am i need of some My mates daughter left the interior light on,on his a4 flattening the battery his father in law decided to jump the car he got it running for a bout 5 seconds lol then it cut out
    New Battery fitted car starts but wont take a rev ?
    So had codes read none stored checked the usual pipe work split etc took throttle body off and cleaned out refitted annd initialized still wont run
    Replaced spark plugs old ones were ****** and fitted new coil pack and ht leads and extensions. No joy vehicle is backfiring through inlet manifold when trying to rev ? Fitted new air flow meter checked fuel pressure and found to be spot on. Found Cranck sensor ohms resistance out of spec so replace that checked LIve readings on bosch kts for coolant temp sensor found too be reading correctly Rapidly running out of ideas
    the car is an Audi A4 estate
    1.8 20v engine code apt

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As a general piece of engineering philosophy I'd suggest not replacing things unless you know they are broken :-)

"vehicle is backfiring through inlet manifold" suggests a timing fault, and you say nothing is showing up on the fault code list. I have no experience of your specific engine but would suggest you check that the timing belt is in good order and that the crankshaft pulley which drives it is not loose on the crankshaft, due to a worn keyway or similar problem.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanx for the info
    All the stuff ive replaced can be returned my mate is storeman in local motor factors
    Timing belt is recent fitted 2000 miles ago with new tensioner etc
    Stripped it down and checked for worn keyway all seems to be okay Took cam cover off and checked cam timing with chain on rear spot on ?
    Am thinking off getting the ecu checked incase mates father inlaw has spiked it due to possibly putting jump leads on wrong way ? Its the last thing to do ?
    Than

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well that's all I could think of, being a diesel man myself :-)

<i>"All the stuff ive replaced can be returned my mate is storeman in local motor factors " </i> - wish I had a mate like that! OD

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well ecu is away for testing if this isnt the problem mate is scrapping the car he's had enuff of it and so have i

1 0 0

6. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Please post results of your ecu test, I have exactly the same problem caused in exactly the same way, tried same as you up to now with no success, so really interested in ecu result. Hope to hear soon. Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for not reposting as had a lot on ecu came back from being checked apparently it had lost all of its settings so reprogrammed Rebuilt it on to the car and away it drove its been fine since

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pleased to hear the good news, whats the cost of a repro on the ecu, your cause and symptoms are identical, mine runs in a fashion, no power, runs like timimngs out, starts but cuts out about first 8 times from cold

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate took care of the ecu reprogram himself took the car to audi so do not know wot they charged him but i bet it wasnt cheap
    Have u checked the coolant temp sensor for working properly ?

1 0 0

10. Re: Audi a4 not revving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for getting back,
    Yes checked that, VAG COM yesterday gives a failed reading for ECU, so looks like I have same problem you had. Removed ECU today, no signs of 'scorching' or blown compomnents.
    It has got worse, engine starts, runs for a few seconds and dies.
    When it does eventually run wont rev above 1200 rpm. When i tested with VAG COM yesterday, I systematically unplugged variious sensors, and not one fault code showed, which i would think could be an indication that it is 'brain dead'
    I have just posted a new thread, with regards to exchanging the ECU, and the potential problems.
    Would still be interested to hear how your mate got on with his local AUDI, local one here look at me like I've got two heads when I mention ECU!
    Thanks again,
    Derek

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast