Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips...

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im sure the swan neck will be robust enough to pull trailers you would tow behind a golf. Im sure it would be able to tow small trailer such as motorbike trailer but i wouldnt advise to go towing an 18ft trailer around.

But im glad this thread has opened iv often wondered about gettin a towbar.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1.9tdi View Post
    Im sure the swan neck will be robust enough to pull trailers you would tow behind a golf. Im sure it would be able to tow small trailer such as motorbike trailer but i wouldn't advise to go towing an 18ft trailer around.

But im glad this thread has opened iv often wondered about gettin a towbar.
    If VW supplied and fitted a tow bar which is not capable of towing the weights quoted in the handbook for the car it is fitted to I would find it very surprising, very worrying and very dangerous.

However a loaded 18ft trailer does should over that for a golf regardless of the tow bar type.

Obviously if anyone is worried in the slightest about a tow bar of what ever design and type it should have a rating which should be checked that it is suitable for the load to be pulled.
    '08 GOLF GT TDI 140

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just fitted a tow bar to my mkv went in in a couple of hours, but made my own lighting adaptor similar to a realy box but all solid state. The worst part of the install was running the main power cable from the battery to rear of the vehicle. but now its doneand works great. Cost me about $100 Aus for the parts which is much better than the $600 Aus VW wanted.
    If any one wants a copy of the circuit Ill convert it to a PDF and post it.

Bernie

0 0 0

4. Finally got mine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I finally got the detachable towbar for my Golf MkV that I was looking for. I went for the original Bosal from the VW catalogue, which seems to be very similar to the Westfalia used by Ben and others.

I wasn't brave enough to fit it myself, so I had a lad called Michael Higgins in Northern Ireland do it for me. He does all the towbar work for the Newry VW branch, through which he ordered the parts. He did a very tidy job, which cost a total of £415; Some €500 less than I was quoted by VW in the Republic of Ireland!

I took some photos of the towbar during the fitting process, for those who are interested (selection below).

0 0 0

5. Re: Finally got mine! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsensor View Post
    I finally got the detachable towbar for my Golf MkV that I was looking for. I went for the original Bosal from the VW catalogue, which seems to be very similar to the Westfalia used by Ben and others.
    Hi, and thanks. The Bosal one looks nice and as you say is very a like to the Westfaila. The link to the Irish assessories online shows a picture of what looks like (to me) like a Westfalia? In the text is says make: Oris. How odd.

The Westfalia Ben fitted has uk electrics that plug in to the cluster(s) unlike the VW sourced Westfalia my dad had has the new european single 13pin electrics (this is the norm now on all new caravans) and needs a uk converter.
    However I think the dealer could have ordered the uk single socket if dad didn't want the additianol 12S electrics. Obviously two uk sockets wouldn't fit.

It would appear that the Bosal from VW you sourced is single pin non european socket and that you've plugged it in to both clusters without routing from the engine bay/fuse box (can't quite see from piccy)?

Strange how VWs supply vary.
    '08 GOLF GT TDI 140

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wondered if you could fit an electrical socket either side of the swan neck.

it looks tight but, if someone wanted it that badly the i bet they could squeeze it in.

Thanks for all your comments.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

why go through the vent? there is a large circuler rubber grommet available there. Nevertheless, it works.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Damn, I new there had to be a gromet there somewhere I ended up drilling a hole in the floor of the boot and putting my own grommet in

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    peter cresswell Guest
    I have fitted a SAAR / Westfalia swan neck towbar.

Rating was 1500kg and 75kg max ball weight

It involved only shaving of the bumper amd looked quite neat.

BUT

It also looked flimsy and was badly finished, the main girder weighs a lot and was consequently difficult for an old man to lift!!

The poor design that I suspected mainfested its self on the second outing when I backed into a waste bin caousing not even a scratch to mytrailer -but bending the tow ball swan neck drop links like a piece of plastic exactly where it looked so weak. I have had it straightened and properly reinforced by a local agricultural engineer and I dont believe it will ever bend again.

I have fitted over 50 tow bars to cars over the years and have biffed and bashed them, been rear ended and towed at speed and NEVER seen even as much as a crack in the paint from witter or maufacturers bars. If you buy one of these SAAR bars you8 will beed to strip and paint it and it will still rust!! It WILL need re inforcement as well. If it bends again its will be out!!!!!

I wouldnt condemn it out of hand, but add at least 50 quid to the price for the changes or be prepared for it to bend - if you tow a caravan.

Shout if you would like to hear more

PS I have a 13 pin electrics plug and think its wonderful. I less bit of junk on the car and a proper locking mechanism. Dont shy away from them as a simple cheap adapter is all you need to connect

Golf electrics are easy DIY checkout Rydertwoing on the web

Pete

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk5 Tow Bars - Q&A - All you need to know Guide!! Advice, Tips... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes they are nice but for some reason those type of interfaces cost around $300 in Australia. So I gave up trying to find one and built my own

0 0 0

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast