Notices

User Tag List

Thread: vw t4 starting problems again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Smile vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi hope someone may be able to help I have 5 cylinder R reg 2.4 d van which some days it starts fine and other days it will turn over fast and quickly drain battery but not fire up at all but when i squirt abit of easy start in fires up straight away usualy happens after being sat all night or when cold basicaly. Recently it was fine so this problem occurs every once and a while. The other day went to start early in the morning turned over wouldn't fire up battery nearly dead then pulled bonnett pushed on fuses in black box to left then done the same with the other black box right of the fans then touched battery terminals then the wire down near the glow plugs in between and then the wires on the ( I assume the starter motor near to centre at the bottom) got back in van fired up straight away was fine for couple of weeks now is doing it again. This morning went out tried to fire it up not enough battery but tried to start drained it almost to nothing then jump started it with girlfriends car turning over fine but not firing up at all bit of easy start fired up straight away!!! please could someone point me in the right direction or have you had a similar problem??? I know it is an old van but I really need it for work runs fine once started. thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You obviously have a problem the the glow plugs,check the fuse in the black box

0 0 0

3. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks for the speedy response i have checked the black boxes and the fuses. I had the glow plugs done over a year ago but the problem occured even after having them done. Would it be the glow plugs I thought the fact that I sprayed in abit of easy start would suggest the glow plugs are fine or what would be igniting the easy start? thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Since it is an intermittent fault it is not the glow plugs, so look carefully at the fuse,it sometimes has a hair crack,which is hard to see,there also might be a fault with the glow plug relay,or the relay holder

0 0 0

5. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks for that will have a look at the fuses unscrew them and see if they are complete. As for the relay is that the one with an 18 or 118 printed on it underneath to the right of the stearing wheel there is a green one there also ... i did take them out of the caseing and clean between the points inside which to be honest worked before and i thought that would be the end of it but here i am again. Now you mention it I haven't heard the click when I turn it over so I wonder if that has given up..

0 0 0

6. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glow plug relay (102) position 12

1 0 0

7. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks Kenney I have been out today and got a new relay and decided to get a new battery after having it checked at a garage so fingers crossed that may help will know for sure when the engine is cold if it's still doing it I will change glow plugs again and go from there. thanks for your help so far cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Kenney not good news left me van for about 5 hours just went out to start it for the first time since changing battery and relay have no glow plug light which has never happened before certainly turning over due to new battery just wont fire any clues ?? thanks in advance if you can help??!!??

0 0 0

9. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi kenney 5 mins later from last post was so frustrated took the fuse unit out in the dark wiggled the 102 relay glow plug light came on went to start van fired up no problem ??? have left the unit hanging out for now so will have a look in the morning ........

0 0 0

10. Re: vw t4 starting problems again!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That has been a problem, the internal contacts in the fuse box as i mentioned in an earlier post

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast