1. N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    hi there, me again this car has more silly little problems than i've ever heard of, week in week out!

more problems. my passenger side rear door won't open from outside. the door lock makes all the correct noises when pressing the button. but it doesn't unlock/open.

this door also has the child lock in place so won't open from inside.

what is your advise? tips?

i'm a good D.I.Y person with plenty of tools.

i've got an idea how to tackle this but two minds are better than one!

THANKS GUYS /GIRLS

0 0 0

2. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    see REVIT's post about the same problem (albeit a different door) - there's an actuator arm that will have broken and a cable to replace. Mine was fixed under warranty, so I can't tell you what's involved..

1 0 0

3. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    FIXED IT!

45 MINUTES OF PAIN AND FRUSTRATION.

i'll say what i did so there is a log of how to: open rear door when child lock is on and outside door handle is not working.

please read all before attemping this.

this is how i did it... i hold no responsibilty for any damages/loss to car or persons involved, this is not a guaranteed fix.. but it fixed my problem.

please do your own risk assessment.

make sure ignition is off and even maybe disconnect battery for safety.

move front seat forward.
    get in back and simply pull the plastics off from around seat belt area(these come away if you pull in centre near joint of top and bottom(just look this will make sense)
    remove plastic cover on door handle (wide flat trim remover in bottom,pull away)
    now remove 2 bolts that fasten door card to door.
    now put fingers behind plastic door card at top, where it meets the window. grip and pull up and outwards all way along.
    now grab front edge of door card and pull towards inside of car.

from above you should now have access to inner door.

now remove the visable bolts along top edge of inner door skin.

once these are removed you will have to bend metal skin at top away from window (use a coulple of screw drivers) only bend back towards rear of car.

now get a torch look into door skin, look towards door catch. follow the rubber covered cable from outer handle where the rubber ends, you will see bare cable near white plastic.

this is the tricky bit i used braizing rod/welding rod. anything with strong short hook.

hook the bare wire push on door and pull your hooked cable....carefull not to fall out when door opens.

once door is open remove last fixing screw at bottom centre of door, pull cable plugs from socket, un hook cable off inner door pull handle. now door card should be free to put down.

i then quickly took child lock off, shut door locked unlocked then tryed to open, all ok

finished...

go get a brew, chill out. then put the carnage caused back together.

I'LL BE TAKING MORE PHOTO'S WITH A BETTER QUALITY CAMERA IN DAYLIGHT, IF NEEDED MSG ME AND I'LL UPLOAD
    Attached Images
    Last edited by daveyboy467; 18-11-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: PHOTO'S ADDED

3 0 0

4. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver891 View Post
    see REVIT's post about the same problem (albeit a different door) - there's an actuator arm that will have broken and a cable to replace. Mine was fixed under warranty, so I can't tell you what's involved..

i think it was a simple glitch...i.e pulled door handle as i pressed unlock.

once i'd pulled car appart and opened door its now fine.

gunna try think of alternative to using child lock

should i take photo's or has it already been done?

0 0 0

5. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Daveyboy pics would be great!

0 0 0

6. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbass View Post
    Cheers Daveyboy pics would be great!

no prob's, i'll take some tomo, when i'm home from work.

1 1 0

7. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey there,

Long time since your original posting but just had the exact same issue on my old B6 Passat drivers side passenger door. Followed your instructions but also managed to access the bottom screw on the door card which meant I could take the entire card off from inside the car. Just needed a largish flat head screw driver to prise apart the plastic trim at the base of the door card so that I could access and remove the last screw.

Just in case anyone else comes across this.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy467 View Post
    FIXED IT!

i'll say what i did so there is a log of how to: open rear door when child lock is on and outside door handle is not working.

this is how i did it... i hold no responsibilty for any damages/loss to car or persons involved, this is not a guaranteed fix.. but it fixed my problem.

move front seat forward.
    get in back and simply pull the plastics off from around seat belt area(these come away if you pull in centre near joint of top and bottom(just look this will make sense)
    remove plastic cover on door handle (wide flat trim remover in bottom,pull away)
    now put fingers behind plastic door card at top, where it meets the window. grip and pull up and outwards all way along.

once these are removed you will have to bend metal skin at top away from window (use a coulple of screw drivers) only bend back towards rear of car.

now get a torch look into door skin, look towards door catch. follow the rubber covered cable from outer handle where the rubber ends, you will see bare cable near white plastic.

this is the tricky bit i used braizing rod/welding rod. anything with strong short hook.

hook the bare wire push on door and pull your hooked cable....carefull not to fall out when door opens.

once door is open remove last fixing screw at bottom centre of door, pull cable plugs from socket, un hook cable off inner door pull handle. now door card should be free to put down.

i then quickly took child lock off, shut door locked unlocked then tryed to open, all ok

finished...

I'LL BE TAKING MORE PHOTO'S WITH A BETTER QUALITY CAMERA IN DAYLIGHT, IF NEEDED MSG ME AND I'LL UPLOAD

0 0 0

8. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    nice one !

0 0 0

9. Re: N/S rear door won't open... HELP Plz 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy467 View Post
    FIXED IT!

move front seat forward.

finished...

Hi daveboy467, it’s an old thread but have same issue with my Audi A4 B8 with front passenger door it just won’t open.have tried a few things but nothing worked so far. your method seems to work and want to try but I can’t see any pictures attached to understand better how you did it. Are you able to upload them again or send by message please?

0 0 0