1. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stuart W, I experienced the very same thing, unlocked the doors with the fob 3 doors opened fine and the front passenger door didn't. Can only be unlocked from the inside. Mine hasn't shown any signs of being temperamental just stubborn. Could be a trip to the mechanics, but this has to be a common fault.

55 plate SE 1.9Tdi Estate 108K (and loving it)

0 0 0

2. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I suggest this for any minor electrical problem - have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your battery? Bit like rebooting a computer.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

3. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A slight side track from the op I realise but, when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, are there any issue with the keys not working after? Do the keys need to be well away from the car?

Just wondering in case I ever need to run this procedure.

0 0 0

4. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    It's one of the first things breakdown services do if you have some sort of electrical problem. No reason why it should affect the keys.

It's a cheap check you can do yourself before you take your plastic to the dealer.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

5. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just had the same issue with my B6 estate and before looking at this thread thought it may have been caused by trying to open the door at the same time as unlocking it.... Seems to be the same as others here? Anyway, I have discovered a fix for mine, not sure how long it'll work or if it'll work for others, but it has been fine with all the unlocking/opening/closing/locking of the door I've tried in the past 1/2hr.

My fix is: Open the door from the inside, then with the inside release lever held in the 'open' position pull the outside door release/handle (may need a couple of pulls).

On mine I could feel something 're-engage' when I did this and it has been fine ever since. I've not had the door/lock apart so can't explain why or how this would work but it did. All I can guess is that the modern VW lock mechanism is more complex than old fashion levers and cables and that is the mechanism isn't quite in the correct position it will not work.

Hope this helps as it's free!!

0 0 0

6. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had this issue with my B6 estate, same thing, impatient teenagers pulling the handle before its fully unlocked!

Did the thing of dropping the windows and pulling both handles together, didn't work at first, then kept opening the door from inside, shutting it and then trying form outside, after about 6 attempts it went back to normal operation!!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have had the same problem with a 2006 B6 sport Tdi both the back door on the drivers side and now the drivers door.
    In my case on the back of the door handle inside the door is a thin groove that the cable sits in.
    and in both cases the cable had bounced off the groove, its a simple matter of just pushing the cable back onto the groove it takes a mere second to do.
    bad news is i had to strip the door apart to get to it, give or take a few mins took me approx 4 hours.
    The worse bits were the plastic clips that hold the trim panel to the door.
    and the fact that the window mechanism is pop riveted to the inner panel ( these were very large pop rivets, didnt have the same size so i bolted them together for the next time the door comes apart.)

0 0 0

8. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Poor design really on these modern cars, they are engineering them to be only serviceable by the main dealers and even when they work on them it still costs a bomb as although quicker than you and I the job still takes longer than it should.

Door handles should be a easy fix/replacement. I've come from a 96 golf gti 16v, the handles on these were removable with one screw. This is my first modern car and I'm already worrying what could go wrong.

I guess its a sign of the times!

0 0 0

9. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfieAudiA3 View Post
    Just had the same issue with my B6 estate and before looking at this thread thought it may have been caused by trying to open the door at the same time as unlocking it.... Seems to be the same as others here? Anyway, I have discovered a fix for mine, not sure how long it'll work or if it'll work for others, but it has been fine with all the unlocking/opening/closing/locking of the door I've tried in the past 1/2hr.

My fix is: Open the door from the inside, then with the inside release lever held in the 'open' position pull the outside door release/handle (may need a couple of pulls).

On mine I could feel something 're-engage' when I did this and it has been fine ever since. I've not had the door/lock apart so can't explain why or how this would work but it did. All I can guess is that the modern VW lock mechanism is more complex than old fashion levers and cables and that is the mechanism isn't quite in the correct position it will not work.

Hope this helps as it's free!!

Thanks for this - it worked for me. I had the same issue as others (lever pulled when car unlocked on remote).

0 0 0

10. Re: Tdi sport drivers door won't open from outside 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well mine has done this today, however mine is a little strange.

approach car and unlock - handle doesnt work (drivers door)

open windows and the open door from inside - fine

close door and try and open it and all is fine.

if i then lock the car with the remote and unlock again handle doesnt work.

Strange......................................

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast