1. Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two weeks into A3 ownership and I have a couple of problems/niggles. First is, when the engine is at running temperature, it takes more effort (more turns) to start it. Is this a diesel thing? It's a 2004 2.0 TDI 140ps.

Also, pressing the door unlock button on the remote fob quickly twice in succession doesn't always unlock the passenger door. Not a problem for me, but with the current UK weather, it's kinda peeing my partner off lol

Hope you guys have some ideas

0 0 0

2. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There could be a fault with the temp sensor,have you had a fault code read.The same applys to the door get a fault code read

0 0 0

3. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenney View Post
    There could be a fault with the temp sensor,have you had a fault code read.The same applys to the door get a fault code read
    It's been in for a service today with Audi Newcastle. I mentioned the starting problem but forgot about the lock. They said nothing showed up.

I'm surprised to here that something as fickle as the lock would show up a fault code. Are these things that heavily sensored these days? (Forgive my ignorance, my previous motors have been pre '96!)

0 0 0

4. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is not always a faulty temp sensor shows up as a fault code,but regarding warm start problems,it usually is the temp sensor,which is the cause.Regarding the door lock,there could be a fault with the can-bus wiring,and that would show up on a diagnosis

0 0 0

5. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenney View Post
    It is not always a faulty temp sensor shows up as a fault code,but regarding warm start problems,it usually is the temp sensor,which is the cause.Regarding the door lock,there could be a fault with the can-bus wiring,and that would show up on a diagnosis
    Thanks for that, I'll get it checked out when funds are replenished. The garage wiped me out today

0 0 0

6. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this warm starting problem. I have a 2004 A3 2.0tdi and from cold as soon as you turn the key it fires up. But if you return to the car within say half an hour of driving it and it's still warm it tends to turn over a couple of times and make a small thud noise before starting. It's done it ever since i bought it over 2 years ago and i did always assume it was a diesel thing!

0 0 0

7. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, exactly the same thing happens to me with my 04 A3 2.0Tdi Sport. Starts as soon as you turn the key when it's cold, but if it's still warm it'll turn over for a few seconds before it starts and then sometimes with a bit of a thud.
    Have had the car for about a month and was a little worried to begin with, but have read on other forums of the same thing happening quite often, so hopefully it isn't something major. Haven't heard of a definitive cause or solution to the problem, so it may be it's just the way it is.
    Hopefully someone with more mechanical nous than me will be able to shed some light on the issue.
    Last edited by AIII; 21-07-2009 at 02:35 PM.

0 0 0

8. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got exactly the same thing with my A3 2.0 TDI sport(140). starts really quickly when its cold but just takes a couple extra turns from hot! anybody solved the problem?? thinkin it could be the temp sensor but would that effect the gauge on the dash??

0 0 0

9. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    chappers849 Guest
    Hello

Last year I had the exact same problem on my 54 plate A3 2.0 TDi, it would turn over a couple of times before starting when warm but when cold was fine. I spent many hours reading forum posts and calling dealers, I changed all the parts I read about like the temp sensor and fuel sensor but nothing worked. I then was given a number audi vw centre and the mechanic I spoke to said he knew what the problem was straight away. I booked the car in and when I got it back it was fine, it turned out it was the starter motor and apparently is a common problem with these cars. They get weak and can't turn the engine at the right speed when it is warm apparently.

1 0 0

10. Re: Starting when hot and remote unlock problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep - classic symptoms in this model of starter motor problems.

Replacement is the only fix !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast