Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello,

I have a 2003 A4 Avant 1.9 Tdi Quattro. The wipers were working fine until a week ago when they suddenly decided to go slow - very slow.

I have tried lifting the arms away from the windscreen but that makes no difference. So I presume it is one of the following:

1. Seized linkage (seems unlikely as the problem came on suddenly, I would have expected them to get slower over time if this were the case).

2. Knackered wiper motor

3. Electrical supply problem

My plan at the moment is to find the motor and if possible disconnect the linkage to remove 1 from the list. Then I can check the voltage going into the motor.

Does anyone have any hints? Is this a well known problem? And if I need a new wiper motor any suggestions either via internet or new Newbury?

0 0 0

2. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I would say it is a 99.9% chance it is seized linkage,as that is a common fault

0 1 0

3. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenney View Post
    Hi I would say it is a 99.9% chance it is seized linkage,as that is a common fault
    Hmm, I have read this, but I would have expectec them to get gradually slower over a period of time as the linkage seizes. These were absolutely fine one day and not the next. Still, I have various lubricating substances on standby for the job.....

0 0 0

4. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They probably have without you noticing it,i can send you the details on how to repair them if you need it as the linkage must be removed

0 0 0

5. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    They probably have without you noticing it,i can send you the details on how to repair them if you need it as the linkage must be removed
    I have seen a few webpages, but the more info the better, so that would be great.

0 0 0

6. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will need your e-mail address

0 0 0

7. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I will need your e-mail address

PM sent - many thanks!

0 0 0

8. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    It seems all the previous posts were correct, thanks for all the advice (especially Kenney) the spindle was indeed seized, so seized that I couldn't even move it with a (copper) hammer!

No amount of heat, WD40 or abuse would shift it and eventually the ally casting cracked so I am into a new mechanism. A previous posting on the subject suggests the A6 part is cheaper as it doesn;t have all the linkages (which are fine on mine) but is otherwise identical.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=8509

A visit to Ridgeway Audi appears to be in order at lunchtime
    Last edited by GeorgeE; 01-10-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: My useless spelling!

0 0 0

9. Re: Very slow wipers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Final update: The bracket with bearings is now available separately for the A4 as well as the A6 (so the thread linked to above is out of date). £65inc. Part number is 8E2 955 603 C, strangely this is different to the part number in the other thread..... The dealer had one on the shelf (wonder why?)

Anyway, job this evening is to reassemble everything. Thanks again for the advice from everyone.

0 0 0

10. Re: Very slow wipers 
    jaxun Guest
    yes...I've had similar problem...leading eventually to replacing arms and motor...been told that the mechanism motor etc. should be lubricated frequently. I guess there is a build up of dirt and grime on these parts...can be accomplished by removing the cover that is above these part and sprayed with lubricant

0 0 0