Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right then...

I have installed myself a MFD2 with Euro DVD version 2 eurpoa and i'm very pleased with its performance.

It does not feature the full postcode facility, so cv6 2 is all i can input of my home address. This however is unimportant to me as 9 times out of 10 you know your destination - its the route you need help with. Besides, once you've entered the post code you can then select to navigate to a piont you choose on the map by simply moving the crosshair and pressing 'ok'. There is no mistaking the destination then. If you genuinely don't know the destination, it then asks you to commence spelling the name of the road you want and narrows it down that way.

TMC has never worked for me in the UK.

I have also used my MFD2 with Euro DVD version 2 europa in France very recently. With no hassle i inputted the 5 digit area code of my destination address and with a swift move of the crosshair i had guidance to the correct street. It was only a tiny lane in the middle of nowhere so was not named by the dvd but did show up on the map.

We did this journey in conjunction with the map book just in case. We had also done the journey some 5 times in the past so roughly knew where we were. The map book was soon retired.

TMC did not come on for us in france.

We also used the map display as a 'live' book as we popped over to the beach one afternoon. We never got lost once and used only back roads to get back to the house.

The wife was bord on the return trip for carentan to calais as she was used to the map book and now her job has been replaced by technology.

If you are undertaking a journey that includes uk roads, followed by a train or boat crossing and then more roads on to your destination, may i advise the following. Navigate form your house to the uk departure port and once across the water, re programme the sat nav to the destination.

Accessories to th MFD2.

I have the 6 disc armrest (MK5 Golf) cd changer. others may opt for the ipod adapter, your choice.one or the other from the factory.
    What you are not told or may be omitted is that there is a multimedia port on the rear of the MFD2 which allows a cable to be attached, this cable is not supplied by VW, it can be found on ebay. There are 2 types of cable available, audio only, and audio + video. This enables ANY type of multimedia device to be run through your MFD2. Such devices include;

• any MP3 player
    • dvd player
    • tv tuner (digital or analogue)
    • in car pc (google lilliput)
    • Camcorder
    • any games console
    • selected mobile phones (AV only, NOT PHONE CALLS)

I'll clarify some of the above devices more clearly.
    The cable provides you with a 3 phono sockets for you to connect to, Yellow (video) Red and White (Left and right audio). Just like your TV or DVD player in your lounge at home.

My Nokia N95 came with a lead that enables me to connect my N95 up to these phono sockets to view photos and video and listen to audio, not all phones will be able to do this.

The MFD2 will not allow you to view video whilst moving over 5 mph.

This can be enabled by the cable you can get off ebay. However, it is possible to select the AUX (multimedia socket) to allow Audio input only so you can listen to mp3's whilst driving.

With your ipod or other mp3 player connected via this cable, you will NOT get track or artist info on the display of the radio or dash. Imagine if you had plugged your mp3 player in to the rear of your HiFi at home.... The mp3 player is STAND ALONE.

The MFD2 DOES NOT HAVE BLUETOOTH BUILT IN. You must buy a seperate bluetooth hands free device and fit seperately. there is a vacant pin slot on the loom that plugs in to the radio to allow the mute function of the handsfree device but on my loom, i had to fit the wire myself.

How does the MFD2 compare with the likes of Tom Tom, Navman and Garmin?

Well, it all comes down to money, you pays your money you takes your choice.

The MFD2 is very hard to steal from your car and it doesn't leave circular rubber sucker marks on your glass and it won't fit in your pocket and doesn't need recharging.

The portable devices, will allow a full post code, can be used on foot, bicycle or motorbike, cost less, don't look as good, need recharging and fill up your glove box.

I have both devices, the MFD2 and Navman F20 portable sat nav. i had the navman 1st and swore by it. what a great piece of kit. However, since i have had the MFD2, i've not used the navman once. I can manage with the MFD2 where it falls short of the portable devices

This is all i can think of just now

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-06-2008 at 11:07 PM.

0 1 0

2. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice sticky - thanks.

Called TeleAtlas today and they confirmed this http://navigation.teleatlas.com/en/s...ex-pr6379.html DVD does add TMC to the MFD2.

I am watching a couple of units on Ebay and will try the combo once I'm successful.

0 0 0

3. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    golfmk5gttdi , Your thread has been very helpful, this one and your previous one on how to instal the MFD2. Since i read it i m considering buying one from ebay.
    I ve a question, forgive my ignorance as i m new to these gadgets!I was told that you CANNOT listen to radio or play a CD whilst you re navigating.
    Does this mean that if you re doing 400mile journey and its like kinda straight route where you ll not need any voice direction for about an hr or two then you ll be stuck with the sat nav screen.
    Can you just play your music and then use visual directions.
    Whats is TMC?.
    I do not have a MFSW. Will this be an issue as i wont be able to control volume from the steering.
    I do not have a ipod preparation or multichanger cd. Will these be an issue?? Please confirm.
    Is there functions like POI and all those planning info you get when you planning your route, like toll charge, speed camera warning etc on the map??
    Many thanks for your help and reply

0 0 0

4. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great review Ben.

I've just bought and installed one, it's easy, I'm an idiot and I didn't break anything! I had two screws and two small metal bits left, but it all works and thetre's no loose facia bits!

I'm really dissapointed that I can't play CDs whilst using it, that is a downside but I guess if I'd specced the car up from new then I'd have had the CD changer or ipod adapter fitter.

Which brings me onto the next question... how easy would it be to fit this arm rest changer into it? After all the problems I've had with my Golf, I'm determined to make this relationship work!!

I'm with INDAYARD, what is TMC?

Thanks,

John

0 0 0

5. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TMC - Traffic Message Channel.

Basically - information piggy-backed onto the back of the RDS signal that contains coded traffic information. In order for it to work there are a number of constraints/factors;

1) The cd / dvd with the map data must contain TMC codes for the country you are in.
    2) The unit has to tune in to an appropriate radio station to receive the TMC broadcast.
    3) If you don't have a dual tuner unit 2) can mean your stuck listening to Classic FM or similar which is where the TMC is being broadcast from.
    4) The TMC information can be a little out of date, and it won't always re-route you if there isn't a sensible alternative route...

Does that help ?
    A6 (2007)TDi SE Avant
    Gone but not forgotten - A4 2.5TDi Avant, Imola Yellow S3 , Golf VR6 Highline

0 0 0

6. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Why is everything VW hard work!?

0 0 0

7. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD V2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great review! I have just bought and fitted an mfd2 and I am fairly pleased with the unit. I will be pleased once i get my ipod adapter working. Does the mfd2 give ID3 info on screen with the ipod adapter? This would be really good. Does anyone know where i can get a multimedia aux-input cable for less than the absurd price of £80 on ebay?! This is just silly for a cable, just because it is rare. Its almost worth paying someone to solder one up for me at a cheaper price.
    Golf 3 GL TDi '97

0 0 0

8. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD V2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlead View Post
    Great review! I have just bought and fitted an mfd2 and I am fairly pleased with the unit. I will be pleased once i get my ipod adapter working. Does the mfd2 give ID3 info on screen with the ipod adapter? This would be really good. Does anyone know where i can get a multimedia aux-input cable for less than the absurd price of £80 on ebay?! This is just silly for a cable, just because it is rare. Its almost worth paying someone to solder one up for me at a cheaper price.
    The MFD2 does not support ID3 info on screen! I bought my multimedia just about the same price anyway and hooked it up to the MFD2. I am able to play my ipod and even watch VIDEO on it. If you not happy with the multimedia you can always get the xcarlink but once again you cant see any info apart from cd1 cd2 etc which is the same thing you see with the CD changer. Hope that helps

0 0 0

9. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD V2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, i thought as much about the ID3, think i might have to reluctantly fork out for the multimedia cable. I'm sure it will be worth it. I'm considering fitting a slim PS2 for novelty value and to watch DVDs has anyone else tryed this, or anyone have any better ideas?
    Golf 3 GL TDi '97

0 0 0

10. Re: Review of MFD2 with Euro DVD V2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thank you

0 0 0