Hi everyone, first of all apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but I have had a good search and found nothing.

I have a recurring fault with my golf, it's a 1995 1.4 mk3. I've owned it for 2 years and I'm already on my 5th headlight switch, so I can pretty much garuntee it's not a faulty switch (unless I've just got REALLY unlucky 5 times in a row...).

The problem is as follows - when I switch onto main headlights (i.e. the problem is not apparent when I just use sidelights) the switch unit starts heating up. It's OK for about a month or 2 of usage until it finally starts emitting a really strong, thick, electrical burning smell accompanied by smoke. One more month of usage after that, whatever is burning finally burns out and I lose all headlight functionality, and I'm left with a useless headlight switch and only the ability to use my sidelights.

I assume it could be a fault with the supply current or voltage to the headlight unit. I have checked the entire fuse board, all the fuses and relays are working fine, and there are no other apparent electrical probs anywhere on my car.

I did hear somewhere that this is a common fault which is down to a different faulty part, but no amount of searching the internet gives me any clue as to what this is. So... any suggestions?

I'd prefer to do the work myself rather than take it to a garage so I'd really appreciate any help you can give. Thanks a lot!