Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Cars starts then dies: 16275 PO341 Camshaft problem? Help needed? Very weird fault?

1. Smile Cars starts then dies: 16275 PO341 Camshaft problem? Help needed? Very weird fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My PD TDI starts every time and then dies...after 5 or 6 attempts it then runs and drives 100%, is has been doing this for 2 days now.

I plugged in VAG fault reader and got:

16275 PO341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circut - Out of range or performance

I suspect it may be full or dirt or oil from a mild leak - not sure where it is to check? Can anyone confirm - also any special tools needed to to this or words of warning?

Is this a common problem on the PD TDI's, do camshaft position sensors perish with age/ milage?

Advice appreciated?

ps. I had a cam belt change 1000 miles ago, but can't see that being the problem.

0 0 0

2. Re: Cars starts then dies: 16275 PO341 Camshaft problem? Help needed? Very weird fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the cam sensor is behind the cam pulley, you will need to remove the upper cover to access it and its positioned at approx 5 o'clock position

ive seen this fault seen this a few times at work especially after recent belt changes .......the cam sensor sometimes comes loose (10mm bolt) and causes an implausible signal ratio.....i.e. the cam sensor and the crank sensor maps aren't in sync'
    or.......
    the cam timing may be a bit out or slipped a bit (poss loose cam pully bolts) or as you say it may be fouled with oil and residue

by virtue of the fact the ecu is seeing a signal, i would presume the sensor is working

the management system uses the camshaft signal (2 notches for each of the 4 cylinders instead of the usual 1 on the pulley) to aid faster starting of the PD engine, so as to conform to emission legislation of being able to start within 720 degrees of crank rotation........if the signal isnt seen then the crank sensor is used to start the car and hence the slow start and cutting out

0 0 0

3. Re: Cars starts then dies: 16275 PO341 Camshaft problem? Help needed? Very weird fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes... FIXED IT!!!!!

There was a crimped (previously repaired by Dealer) wire that went from a sensor (must have been crank sensor) around the oil filler area to the loom... then to the ECU I presume.... it looked oxodised so I cut it fresh and re-crimped it - hey presto, starts first time every time now!

It was funny how once started the engine ran perfect (i.e. without crank sensor imput?). But now I know why...

thanks vwpd130!

0 0 0