Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Morning,

Was driving home the other day and my normally extremely reliable 1.9 tdi Jetta decided to throw a bit of a wobbler. I had probably done 70 or 80 miles by this point, but various lights started flashing on the cluster including the glow plug, the oil light and various warnings on the little screen including
    Low Oil Pressure
    Emissions Garage
    STOP!

I stopped the car and it wouldn't restart. I sat waiting for an hour for breakdown before trying it again and all of a sudden it restarted, so I was able to safely get home. However, I took it for a spin to town yesterday and it did the same thing again. This time I noticed that the car actually doesn't cut out, although it does feel a bit lumpy. Again, it started fine again after a period of being left parked.

This is what a scan has shown:

a33a12eb-0e9e-4958-b76e-45be7ef34ccd.jpg

Will this be as simple as just replacing that sensor?

0 0 0

2. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1872 Post(s)
    There is nothing simple about changing that sensor, they are a pig! I had this on a DPF BMN engined Golf 5 a few months ago and it was damaged wiring up near the turbo.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

https://youtu.be/w8r2xnITnqA?si=Hy9T6jEbWD5ih-Oy

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There is nothing simple about changing that sensor, they are a pig! I had this on a DPF BMN engined Golf 5 a few months ago and it was damaged wiring up near the turbo.
    That's not good news at all. Based on the failure case, is it likely to be damaged wiring or the sensor itself?

Tempted to just take it my local garage tbh. I was hoping it'd be an easy win, I had not taken a look at the actual complexity of replacing it

0 0 0

4. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So I've just driven it again paying close attention to the temp gauge.

Heat is definitely playing a part. The first time it occurred it was at normal running temp, the second time I had been driving for 15 mins.

Today I watched the temp go all the way to 12 o clock and then it did it again.

That makes me think sensor over wiring.

Reasonable jump?

0 0 0

5. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1872 Post(s)
    It is unusual for the G28 to come up as faulty. We have a Q5 in today from another garage who have fitted a new G28 and it still comes up and it has been to lots of other people including Audi... In this particular case I know that water in the EGR cooler on the back of the head (from an internal leak) causes this code as it upsets the 5V circuit for various sensor of which the G28 is one and the most sensitive; when my tech pulled the plug off there was pink coolant inside the plug.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So I've driven home from work tonight. Happened again... different failure case.

Whereas this morning it happened just as the temps hit 12 o clock but the car kept running to work... This time the car hit 10 o clock on the temp gauge, the issue occurred and the car died literally while I was doing 30mph.

I had the heater on full blast and left it for 30 seconds. Car started again but was lumpy as hell and flashing lights all the way home. Luckily only a mile.

So for time being, it's a kids to school car lol.

Any thoughts on the above? Is it sounding more like what you describe?

0 0 0

7. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Driven it to drop children off at school this morning. Car didn't get fully warm (about 2 miles). Issue didn't occur.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1872 Post(s)
    Does sound like the G28.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Does sound like the G28.
    OK, so the car has just come back from the garage. They said there's a 4 week wait on the Crank sensor and therefore they won't be able to get it fixed for a while. However, they've also said they think there's a bigger problem with it. They think there's an electrical wiring fault because various lights come on including:
    Traction Control
    Oil Pressure
    Glow Plug

They're not wrong that those lights come on, I'm just curious if this is what usually happens when said sensor packs up? Any thoughts?

I've been driving this because I have no other vehicle. What's the risk if I continue to drive it (other than it constantly cutting out in inconvenient situations)?

0 0 0

10. Re: 2008 Jetta 000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1872 Post(s)
    What is the VIN and the fault code numbers?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast