Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    I have occasionally had the map sensors over react to boost and jump straight to 2880mBar which is when the ECU will shut things down but as @VAG-Abound says, that is more like the vanes are stuck shut, perform basic settings 011 at idle and watch the actuator cycle back and forth.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I have occasionally had the map sensors over react to boost and jump straight to 2880mBar which is when the ECU will shut things down but as @VAG-Abound says, that is more like the vanes are stuck shut, perform basic settings 011 at idle and watch the actuator cycle back and forth.
    I have manually vacuumed the actuator and it moves freely, would that mean the vanes are not stuck?
    I may try the actuator cycle tonight and see what happens

0 0 0

3. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegarcia1992 View Post
    I have manually vacuumed the actuator and it moves freely, would that mean the vanes are not stuck?
    If there is mechanical connection between them it would suggest they are reasonably free. If you can pop the actuator arm off of the vane control and wiggle it there should be a tinny rattle at each end as the vanes hit stops IME.

Depending on the quality of the turbo it could just have wrongly configured actuator, oversized turbine / impeller, etc. Was it sold as standard spec, or "uprating"? If not standard it could need a new map in the ECU so that it knows what to ask for / expect along the fuel - air - request - actuator - actual decision tree. And conversely if the car had been mapped to suit a non-standard turbo you could be out of tolerance with a standard one.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

4. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    If there is mechanical connection between them it would suggest they are reasonably free. If you can pop the actuator arm off of the vane control and wiggle it there should be a tinny rattle at each end as the vanes hit stops IME.

Depending on the quality of the turbo it could just have wrongly configured actuator, oversized turbine / impeller, etc. Was it sold as standard spec, or "uprating"? If not standard it could need a new map in the ECU so that it knows what to ask for / expect along the fuel - air - request - actuator - actual decision tree. And conversely if the car had been mapped to suit a non-standard turbo you could be out of tolerance with a standard one.
    Iv just double checked and it was sold as a standard turbo for a 1.9 bkc 105 bhp and the car hasn't been mapped. Is there any way to check the map,maf and n75 vacuum box at the back of the engine? Iv just found out that the car I tried them off is also having a problem with going into limp mode 😔

0 0 0

5. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    The MAP should reda circa attmo engine off, 1000 ish mBar.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'll have a check tonight and see. Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The saga continues, iv checked the map sensor and its 1090mbar. I spent a whole day on it yesterday and still no where near sorting it. I tried disconnecting the exhaust,new map sensor. I tried adjust the actuator the longest it will go. I tried testing it with no vacuum to the turbo and I got 2530mbar with limp mode, I then tried my myty vac and put 18hg to the actuator manually and drove it and got 2530mbar with limp mode again. I just don't understand how I'm getting the exact same scenario with the vnt open and shut. If anyone can help me solve this I'll send over a PayPal donation as its driving me crazy.

0 0 0

8. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    Now you have moved the actuator I suggest you remove the unit and send it to Midland Turbo for rebuild and calibration, other than that I have no dea how to move forward as people say in modern ��

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Now you have moved the actuator I suggest you remove the unit and send it to Midland Turbo for rebuild and calibration, other than that I have no dea how to move forward as people say in modern ��
    I think that's the only way I'm going to fix this as iv ran out of options. Thanks for advice, I appreciate it.

0 0 0

10. Re: Vw golf mk5 1.9 bkc overboost 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Have you tried driving with intercooler feed to manifold disconnected? Something should change, and if it doesn't sensors may be whacky.

I think Crasher meant send turbo and actuator for re-calibration. Assuming you bought a well-calibrated turbo that will just send you back to square one. But if it can't be calibrated it will explain why you've been having problems.

EDIT: Have you wiggled the vane control arm with actuator disconnected and does it feel like something is moving?
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast