1. CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Looking at my engine guide, it says that the CHYA and CHYB engines do not have a set interval for the timing belt change, but should be inspected periodically. Can someone confirm that this is true and if not what the change interval is.
    Thank you
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

2. Re: CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    According to VAG Germany

1.0 l indirect inj. CHYA, CHYB, CPGA. No prescribed change interval, Camshaft drive toothed belt: check at 240,000 km then every 30,000 km

According the VAG UK, every four years even if it has only been around the block. What we refer to in the trade as "a workshop filler". I have a 2008 Altea 1.6 BSE petrol in today, 83k miles factory fitted fourteen year old cambelt and still going although admittedly it does look a bit rough and we have recommended it when I have cured the running problem.

These ACT cam belts are fiddly to do and the correct locking tools are essential, tightening the adjuster is a pig, the engine mount is right on top of it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I have just done a CHYA on a vw UP because the MOT station refused to MOT the car unless the timing belt had been changed. Weird of a petrol that didn't even have a turbo. The car had 125k miles but had it belt changes at 60k miles. The old belt looked as good as the new one and I was sure that the belt was inspection only.
    And of course the correct tools were used to position the camshafts and setting the crank against the bolt at tdc.
    Thanks for.the response Crasher. Nice to have my thoughts confirmed.

0 0 0

4. Re: CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Did you enjoy the part of getting at the tensioner? Personally I have never done one, I "delegate" to the lads jobs I don't fancy myself.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Haha. This job is too easy for you Crasher. I probably did it the long way. I supported the engine, then unbolted the metal timing cover and moved it to one side. The roller and tensioner was easy from there.
    I cant believe the prices of VW parts now. They seem to have doubled. Roller about £50, tensioner £60, belt 50ish and that's after my measly 8%. Will switch to an after market from now. Any idea on brands. Gates?

0 0 0

6. Re: CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We refuse to fit anything other than genuine cam belt kits.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: CHYA and CHYB Timing belt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VAG removed the intervals in some places and said its a lifetime belt but we all know there is no such thing. Local dealership says it's 5 years. I changed at least 5 of them the last few months all at around 5-6 years old cars. If your looking for a good aftermarket i would recommend INA by Schaeffler. OEM quality. I only use them.

0 0 0