Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3

1. Thumbs up Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi there Guy’s & Gals
    I purchased an OBD scanner ( MAXIECU )
    I tried it on an old laptop that I had in for repair and would steadfastly not communicate with the MAXIECU
    So I purchased another laptop “Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1” Military Laptop which has Bluetooth v4
    The scanner will not communicate with this laptop, so I purchased and installed a Bluetooth USB stick v5 and still no luck.
    To put things into perspective my vehicle is as follows ;
    A3 1.9Tdi 8P1 March 2009, plate - 3 door hatchback
    So I am now seeking an OBD scanner that will communicate via Bluetooth v4 OR Wi-Fi
    Once purchased I will update the thread on the results
    I look forward to the response.
    Tony

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    VCDS HEX NET, talks to anything.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi there
    Thanks for that.
    All I could see was the Ukraine flag then I noticed VCDS HEX NET, I take it that they OBD scanners

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    VCDS is THE tool for VAG vehicles, there is nothing better, even the VAG dealer system ODIS is rubbish in comparison EXCEPT there are some jobs VCDS and other scanners can't do unless the have a "pass through" to VW in Germany and that is complex to attain

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi there
    Many thanks for the response.
    I entered "VCDS" into eBay and it threw up 124 results.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=VCDS&_sac at=0
    As somebody who has some knowledge which particular one do you recommend ?
    On another Forum the guy was talking about pay for extra application ON my eBay messaging service I have this
    "
    the device does require in-app purchases in order to perform different functions on your vehicle."
    I just want to purchase the unit and get going.

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldyorky View Post
    ... I take it that they OBD scanners
    Different and better . Lots of people post here with slightly to very generic codes from an OBD reader, and the detail to support diagnosis only materialises if they get a "proper" scan with VCDS.

VCDS also allows re-coding of various things, such as when installing tow bar, different radio, etc. Also logging of data which can be handy to try and understand where a problem is arising from.

They are quite expensive, but very quickly save money if you can avoid trips to dealers.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

7. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi there
    Many thanks for the response.
    Do you not think that it is daylight robbery once purchased the unit then more money on top
    i.e. I paid money for my car and I expect to pay more money for some diesel but I DO NOT expect to have to pay more money for the purchase of my car.
    Alright I know its a bit far fetched as an example but you see what I mean.
    Tony

0 0 0

8. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldyorky View Post
    I entered "VCDS" into eBay and it threw up 124 results.
    A lot of those are for devices that are tapping into the desirability of VCDS but aren't quite the whole package. Picking a few:
    • Diagnostic KKL PC Cable for VCDS-Lite - It's a clone cable and you'll have to go an pay Ross-Tech for VCDS Lite
    • AUB Cable For VAG-COM VCDS Scanner - May have a CD with specific version of VCDS hacked to work with cable

Generally you'll be looking at the £100-£500 items. Cheaper ones will be:
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 27-07-2022 at 08:38 PM.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

9. Re: Advice needed for the prospective purchase of an OBD scanner for my A3 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Buy from an accredited VCDS reseller as if you don't you cannot become accredited with Ross Tech and join their invaluable support forum, the UK agents are

Gendan Limited
    Unit 8 Llys Caer Felin
    Felinfach
    Swansea SA5 4HH
    +44 0 1792 588002

ilexa Onboard Diagnostics
    Truro
    Cornwall
    TR2 4YF
    UK
    p: +44 01726 884 010
    email: support@ilexa.co.uk

Marshall's Industrial Ltd.
    [SIZE=1;]Volkswagen Power Systems & Components IMPCO Gas Systems[/SIZE]
    Beadle Estate
    Hithercroft Road, Wallingford,
    Oxfordshire, UK
    OX10 9DG
    p: +44 (0) 1491 834666
    f: +44 (0) 1491 839777
    email: sales@mi-uk.com

V-Tech UK Ltd.
    SN Autohaus
    181 Forest Road
    Hainault, Essex
    London, UK IG6 3HZ
    Tel: +44 208 498 1288
    Fax: +44 208 498 1289

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0