Notices

User Tag List

Thread: BKD Touran losing coolant - where to?

1. BKD Touran losing coolant - where to? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Our MY08 BKD engine Touran has started losing quite a bit of coolant regularly, but not all the time. On some short-ish (20 mile) trips the coolant light comes on, and the level is well below minimum. On others it doesn't.

I built a little widget to pressure test the system. Turns out a 40mm plumbing waste compression fitting goes quite nicely on the expansion tank with the lid removed, and a 7/32" hole is perfect for screwing a long Presta valve from a donor cycle inner tube into. The part I had around happened to be a tee-joint, but only two connections are needed so a coupler would be fine.

20220723_183824.jpg

I can get the pressure up to ~1.5 Bar easily, and it holds for 20 minutes. Big "pop" if I pull it off rather than release pressure steadily.

No sign of coolant around engine while doing this. Oil is a lovely, silky black. C-suffix cylinder head. Exhaust is generally clear with odd puffs of blackness when accelerating hard.

Only clue is that sometimes when reversing off of drive a trail of water is left, as though it had gathered on plastic undertray and sloshed off as car moved. Now parking over a sheet of cardboard with tray removed, but no drips seen so far.

I'm not aware of any valves that let water into parts of system sometimes, but make a water-tight isolation of it at others. I'm wondering if there could be a hairline fracture in something that opens up when car is doing some particular thing, but is pressure tight at others.

Any pointers from anyone?
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

2. Re: BKD Touran losing coolant - where to? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Further reading is suggesting hairline cracks in radiator. I'll see if I can see anything there.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

Similar Threads

1. 55 1.9tdi 105 touran losing coolant, heaters not working and engine fan
    By rossyjr in forum Touran - Sharan - Caravelle
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-02-2017, 09:57 PM
  2. A6 1.9 TDI losing coolant
    By Rudidudi in forum Audi A6 - C5 Forum - 1998 - 2004
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 21-12-2015, 01:52 PM
  3. Losing coolant
    By Cannondave in forum Passat - B6 Forum - 2005 - 2010