Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area

1. Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning (not Good!) and I need some help quite urgently!

A few days ago I tried to replace the rear springs on my Octavia II TDI estate (essentially Golf Mk V estate suspension) but failed miserably because of age & arthritis and had to try to put everything back together, but in doing so managed to cross thread the hole in the wheel carrier into which one of the lower shocker bolts fits, and thus I couldn't refit that shocker at all!

This time last week, I took the car into the local Mr Clutch branch (which has been very good to-date, I have to say) and explained, with diagrams & notes, what needed to be done - unfortunately, due their not having the thread tap until the end of last week and then staff shortages, they've been unable to even start the work to fix the problem (which also includes changing the shocker bumpstops for something shorter/softer)!

Therefore can anyone here recommend a place in this locality who could take on the work (or take it on themselves)?

NB: would probably need whoever does it to source a lower shocker bolt (and maybe 4x rear ARB bolts which could do with replacement) but otherwise I already have the other required parts (the springs, upper/lower spring seats, and bumpstops).

The car can be driven gently for shortish distances but I wouldn't want to take it more than a few miles!

0 0 0

2. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You buy the bolt genuine, the part number is WHT 003 467 and these cost £4.79 from any VAG group dealer or TPS. It is M14 and at an odd angle so people often miss thread them, on the ally hubs the bolt often snaps which is great fun.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Thanks for the reply.

Ref that bolt, that's very useful info because the diagram and parts breakdown for the vehicle that I downloaded actually shows that it could be one of the following N91027401, WHT002467 & N91027402, i.e. 3 different P/Ns for the same M14X1.5X70 spec bolt.

A search on ebay for those threw up mainly a lot of "replacements" that are 85mm long (and a few 75mm ones) - that raised the issue of whether a bolt longer than 70mm would actually work or if it would "bottom" in the hole?

I don't think this vehicle has ally hubs because the the first 2 turns of the thread on the old bolt appear to have stripped when I (being very weary and downhearted at the time!) tried to wind it into the hub - had the latter been ally, then I think the bolt thread would probably have been OK.

I'll pass that info on to whomsoever actually does the repairs - the car will stay with Mr Clutch for the moment awaiting the return of the guy who will try the rethreading (unless I can find someone else to do the job - with which they are fine in view of the time already taken not to do it).

0 0 0

4. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    N 910 274 01 changed to N 910 274 02 in Aug 2010 and then WHT 003 467 in Nov 2010, WHT002467 does not exist.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    N 910 274 01 changed to N 910 274 02 in Aug 2010 and then WHT 003 467 in Nov 2010, WHT002467 does not exist.

Thanks again & "WHT002467" was just a typo on my part - but just asking again about the thread length and whether there would be possible "bottoming" in the hole in the hub if a longer bolt was used (on the off-chance that that might actually prove to be the only option)?

0 0 0

6. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The hole is blind and 35mm deep

And no, I am not a weirdo (well, yes I am) but I had one sitting on the floor which we have replaced with a fully built Werkline subframe

And yes it will get new dampers when they come back from painting

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crasher

Thanks again and that probably confirms my suspicions that the bolt length is critical!

0 0 0

8. Re: Octavia II estate - Suspension repairs urgently required in West London (Hayes) area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update:

I very happy to report that the Mr Clutch guy who has been off-sick for the last week finally came in this morning, managed to retap the hole in the hub and then do all the other work that I'd requested, and so I picked the car up this afternoon - and now, having driven it over some bumpy bits of road, the ride is considerably more comfortable for my aging and "damaged" back!

0 1 0