Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsanx View Post
    I did call the dealers up earlier today and they quoted £60 for the pump on the engine which isn't bad I'm assuming that +Vat but the guy I spoke to wasn't the best. He didn't initially understand what I was referring too and after a while reluctantly took the part number off me but then wouldn't really say what the PN was that he was quoting me for after I'd given him the PN off my car of that makes sense.
    It does. They are very reluctant to share part numbers, and like to try and to start with matching the VIN / reg in case you happen to already have the wrong part fitted. I usually give them a bit of time to find it among the diagrams then say a cheery "I have the old one in my hand if the part number would help".

Personally I'd check the wiring for basic continuity. If there is a break spend the money on auto-electrician. If no break try a VAG part. If it fixes it you're still presumably in time to return non-functioning aftermarket part?
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

2. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi yeah I can still return the part. Phoned another dealership and the part has been superseded from a J to a P now apparently and it's £49+VAT, £11 less than the other ******* ship!

I'm not brilliant when it comes to electrics but I've checked all 3 pins coming out the connector against the earth and live terminal and they either have continuity or give a reading so not sure precisely what I should be doing but that's where I'm at.

Would it be a bad idea if I used the jump-start terminal + and - and 2 wires to the + and - pins of the connector with the plug plugged into the pump? I can do this as when the wire was repaired I asked for the heatshrink tubes to be left loose until the issue is resolved. So I can pull the tube slightly and get to the spliced/crimped end to attach the other end of the wires.

0 0 0

3. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    At the point you're at I'd check the actual wiring.

As far as Ic an see you should have red+purple, red+blue and brown at the 3-pin connector. Brown should have good connection to chassis / battery -ve of course. The others should run via a couple of loom connectors to pins 15 and 14 respectively of the 20-pin connector on the back of the AC control unit.

They don't branch anywhere so I'd jumper them at one end and check for continuity at the other. Or make up a ~6' test lead if I was still worried that might damage something (which would be needed anyway if the loop showed open circuit).

If there is a break then the loom connectors to help isolate it are in the driver side plenum chamber (red), and footwell (blue) - with the wire colours preserved end to end.
    So bit of an update. I used the jump-start terminals to the back of the pump connector and the fan fires up. Start the car clear the fault but it still came back on. I re read your last post and backed off the AC panel and can see what you mean so will try that the weekend. Maybe it's the S (signal?? ) with a break in it.

0 0 0

4. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    So I've just done the above and have full continuity on all 3 pins on the connector.

14 = signal
    15 = plus
    And the brown - to - think it was pin 19 or 20.

Probably not the best idea but then got one of the other pumps and connected it directly to these point using another connector to see if it may eliminate the EML this way but no luck.

Tried the solenoid pump valve in the plenum and also has continuity through same AC connector.

5=yellow+red
    18=red+white

Also I powered up my original pump using a little portable 12v tool and it fires up and runs!

Apart from getting the dealership 3 pin pump any other ideas?

0 0 0

5. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I could be a fault in the controller, which is the a/c cabin control part you removed to access the pins.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

6. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I could be a fault in the controller, which is the a/c cabin control part you removed to access the pins.
    Always a potential I suppose but in the absence of any other fault codes I'm not so sure. It's pretty frustrating having down all the continuity checks and changed both pumps. There isn't anything else in the setup that could refer to the dreaded coolant pump B is there? I don't suppose it requires a software flash does it?

Here's the fault again:

Control unit: 01 Engine
    Active faults: 0
    Inactive faults: 1
    System description: R4 2.0l TDI
    Software number: 03L906018JP
    Software version: 9977
    Hardware number: 03L906018JL
    Hardware version: H25
    ODX name: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906018JP
    ODX version: 003006
    Faults:
    P261A00 - Coolant Pump "B" Control Circuit/Open
    static

0 0 0

7. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    It may be worth getting it read with VCDS rather than ODX to see if it gives the same error code reading.

You could also see if the climate control unit has built in diagnostics to check things, like this: Climatronic Diagnostic Mode Reference Guide | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum.
    ======

0 0 0

8. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It may be worth getting it read with VCDS rather than ODX to see if it gives the same error code reading.

You could also see if the climate control unit has built in diagnostics to check things, like this: Climatronic Diagnostic Mode Reference Guide | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum.
    Yeah I'm going to have to get good old VCDS on it see if it makes any difference.

with regards to the diagnostics I done a good search around and they all seem to be for older models. I did previously run an output test using OBDeleven on the climatronic and all seemed good. Quite struggling with this one as it seems I've exhausted alot of avenues for the average guy. 😔

0 0 0

9. Re: Auxiliary coolant pump / coolant pump B open circuit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    *UPDATE*

After posting on another forum got some extra crumbs which led me to getting this sorted. Information led me to discover there was another additional coolant pump which sits under the oil cooler and is not visible from under the bonnet view.

The pump was indeed the one mentioned by @Crasher as the 5N0 965 561 pump. I used my phone and managed to get some images of it and discovered it had the very same issue as the other pump where the negative had been depinned on the 3 pin connector but additionally the pump was also corroded and damaged with one of the pins on the pump also destroyed.

I had a little play around and realised it was something I couldn't do without a ramp and as I'm uncomfortable with working under a car whilst jacked up I decided to give it to an independent garage to do the fix.*

5N0 pump was £145 from TPS (geniune part)*
    ​​​​​​​Labour was £90 so total of £235.*

Thanks again for your help with this guys much appreciated 👍🏽
    ​​​

0 2 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123