Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I currently have a Mk4 Golf 1.6 16v, bog spec (my first car), but I've done a few bits to it, like upgraded to the OEM Recaro seats, GTI wheels, steering wheel, pedals etc.

I have been saving up for a replacement for a little while and have been looking at the market. So far I've narrowed it down to either Mk6 Golf GTD or an A3 1.8 TFSI (S line/Black Edition) as these are mostly within my budget of about £4.5-7k.

I'm looking for something that's "a bit sporty" (0-60 in about 7-8 seconds) but also a tad more modern and economical than my 37.5mpg, almost 20 year old mk4.

I was hoping to get some first hand knowledge from anyone that's owned either (or both!) of these cars? Or if there are any known (reliability) issues with these cars to look out for/avoid? In either option I'll be sticking with a manual.
    Obviously one is petrol and one is diesel... I'm currently averaging about 9,000 miles a year, and taking into account road tax as well the GTD is looking to save me about £500 a year over my mk4, while the A3 is looking more like £150-200.

Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Mk6 Golf GTD vs A3 1.8 TFSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Those few £100 will easily be swamped by replacing a few components, from regular things like a set of tyres or cambelt to "long term service" thgearbox, engine, turbo, etc. If you can get a few weeks or months warranty while you "exercise" the new car it may well pay off.

Get the relevant engine codes (CBBB, CFGB, etc) and look for the work people have had done here and elsewhere. Post-release upgrades on timing belts, oil pumps, etc. Also see what Skoda / Seat cars have the same engines - they can can be fun to drive.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

3. Re: Mk6 Golf GTD vs A3 1.8 TFSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    If you drive the 1.8 "a bit sporty" you won't get better mileage than your current car. Our duaghters car is the A3 saloon 1.8 and it can get high 40s on a sedate run but can easily go into the high 20s / 30s when you start booting it and around town
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

4. Re: Mk6 Golf GTD vs A3 1.8 TFSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be nice to you. If you drive the 1.8 "a bit sporty" you won't get better mileage than your current car.

0 0 0

5. Re: Mk6 Golf GTD vs A3 1.8 TFSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Here are some things to consider when comparing the Volkswagen Golf GTD and the Audi A3 1.8 TFSI:

Performance: The Golf GTD is equipped with a 2.0L diesel engine that produces 181 horsepower, while the A3 1.8 TFSI has a 1.8L gasoline engine with 180 horsepower. Both vehicles have front-wheel drive and a manual transmission option, but the A3 also offers an automatic transmission.

Fuel efficiency: The Golf GTD has a fuel economy of around 50 mpg on the highway, while the A3 1.8 TFSI gets around 40 mpg on the highway.

Interior and features: Both vehicles offer comfortable, high-quality interiors and a range of convenience and safety features. The A3 may have a slight edge in terms of luxury, as it is a higher-end brand.

Price: The Golf GTD may be a bit more affordable than the A3 1.8 TFSI, although the actual price difference will depend on the specific trim level and options chosen on sca.auction.
    Last edited by Robert Powell; 27-01-2023 at 06:28 PM.

0 0 0

6. Re: Mk6 Golf GTD vs A3 1.8 TFSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    @Robert Powell BUT in the UK the Golf 6 TDI isn’t Euro 6 compliant and so if you have to drive into one of the UK’s new tax revenue generating zones (known as a ULEZ) such as inside the M25 as JamboXIV may have to, then you get shafted up the **** by His Lordship Sadiq Khan for £12.50 a day. We had a 2000 model A4 in the other week which was petrol and Euro 4 compliant and therefore classed as a ULEZ and exempt from Mr Khans tax.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Mk6 Golf GTD vs A3 1.8 TFSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    The current high price of diesel compared to petrol wont equate to saving much on fuel in a diesel either.

0 1 0