1. Golf GTi ADY MOT Fail today! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, having fixed the horrible cutting out fault with the car, I have reluctantly decided it is time to sell it. I am 70 next birthday and just do not drive it nowadays, so it's time someone else had some fun with it. I took it for an MOT today and the main thing it failed on was high CO level, not massively high, managed about 0.4% when really hot and it needs to be 0.2%. The last time it passed its' MOT was 2019, and I had trouble with the emissions on that test. The garage told me that it was probably the cat, which sounded possible to me as it was the same one I had on the car from when I bought it in 2008. I had a new cat fitted, and it made no difference whatsoever. I had to leave the car at the garage, supposedly to be "fixed" and got through its' test. They told me to collect it and said it had passed. When I asked them what was wrong with it they were very vague and gave me a load of bull. Later I discovered that they had removed the 2 blanking caps from the vacuum hose nipples, thus creating quite a large vacuum leak. I have re-instated them now and have fitted a new Lambda sensor as that was coming up with a fault code which has now cleared. The replacement cat has done only 300 miles from new. Anyone got any ideas what to try next?

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf GTi ADY MOT Fail today! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The original cat is long gone I suspect? Aftermarket cats are absolute rubbish.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf GTi ADY MOT Fail today! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hello Crasher! No, I still have the original cat. I hear what you say about aftermarket cats. Are you thinking could still be cat related?

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf GTi ADY MOT Fail today! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    If the original cat has not suffered a collapsed primary monolith I would be surprised if it was faulty. I can't remember if you have VCDS and what the cure was for the cutting out has been eliminated from my grey matter, probaly too much vodka.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf GTi ADY MOT Fail today! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Cut-out was cured with a new Bosch dizzy cap. Car ran for hours today with no problems at all. I have VCDS lite, but it only seems to let me monitor up to measuring block 8, so only relevant data I can see is that the Lambda sensor looks to be working OK and injector timing is 2ms at 2000 rpm. Don't really know what the AFM is up to, I don't think it has ever been changed, certainly not by me in the nearly 15 years I have owned the car.

0 0 0