1. Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi. 2015 (November) 2l with 41k on it. Have just had a conversation with local dealer when booking the next service, who are telling me I MUST have a service every 12 months/9k miles due to degradation of the oil. Now it had its first service at 18 months with 6k on the clock. Bought a service plan and had the next two at the same interval, 18 months due to low mileage, and at the third one had the cam belt done and gearbox oil change with 34k on the clock. That was November 2020 so 18 months ago. Now is what I am being told true, that with less mileage over a period of time, so with less heat cycles the oil will degrade quicker than a longer period with more heat cycles. Some of its use is local, some 50-70 miles and several at 200-300 miles over the 18 months, rest of the time it’s sunning itself on the drive. Are they correct ??? I suspect not. So what is the view of others, especially those who are in the trade for the right reasons. Thanks in advance…
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

2. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have seen countless evidence that LongLife service interlays damage engines… It was actually of benefit to me as I picked up a bargain with a seized engine and still have it 17 years later. When it comes to my customers cars I set the intervals at 9300 miles & 365 days for an oil change service and 18700 miles & 730 days for an inspection service BUT still use LongLife 3 oil. One of my customers just got 187/k miles out of a 2006 Passat BKP with the infamous 77mm shaft which was the original. New balancer fitted and off for another 200k. How clean the engine was inside really surprised me and the rod bearings were perfect.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have no idea why this was closed, doesn't look like I did it but who knows?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Longlife services…. Hmmm when you have rebuilt the worn out cams on a 2.5 C5 TDi’s you will see what longlife services do, i also had a 2.5 C5 that i serviced for a family member on fixed service regime, pulled the rockers on it at 200k as was doing the cambelt and there was no visible wear. Not used variable service since, but some people do still insist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards Dean Warren. VCDS owner/user
    A6 C7 3.0 BiTDi Quattro Avant 2012 S-Line Tech pack tour Pack ACC Blind spot folding mirrors Sold
    S6 C8 3.0 TDI Quattro Avant 2021 360 Camera Bose Extended leather.

0 0 0

5. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dean warren View Post
    Longlife services…. Hmmm when you have rebuilt the worn out cams on a 2.5 C5 TDi’s
    Like thus

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Like thus

Thats the beauties, chocolate cams shafts they used to say but i would say excessive wear due to poor servicing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards Dean Warren. VCDS owner/user
    A6 C7 3.0 BiTDi Quattro Avant 2012 S-Line Tech pack tour Pack ACC Blind spot folding mirrors Sold
    S6 C8 3.0 TDI Quattro Avant 2021 360 Camera Bose Extended leather.

0 0 0

7. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Put it this way, cars we looked after long term never had this problem and we did a LOT of them. It is like the allegedly fragile oil pump drive on the BKP, we have just had a 2006 77mm one fail at 180k on the original and we have serviced that car religiously for a decade or more.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks for reopening. So is the oil only good for 12 months irrespective of mileage, or is it only good for 10k miles. I fully understand the rationale for 10k but not for 12 months irrespective of mileage. What does it matter if the vehicle only spends say 6-7 days a month on the road accumulating 10k over 18 months, is that not the same as 28 days a month to reach 10k at 12 months. Confused dot com…
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

9. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Elansear, the way I look at it is your car sits after being hot, the engine cools and condensation forms inside the engine. Next start up the engine has to heat up and remove those water vapours, some ends up mixed with the oil. So regular oil changes removes any contaminants such as water etc.
    I change my oil and filter every 9k ish miles, it costs me Ł70 and half hours work. I'd much rather do it every 6 months than replacing my engine or major components due to my negligence.
    My fathers 2006 peugeot 407 has a a service every easter, he does about 7k miles a year now in that car, its got 160k miles and had it about 9 years but we keep ontop of the maintenance.
    I know sometimes dealers or mechanics get a bad rap but the person who said get it changed every 12 months was try to save you a bit of heart ache not rip you off.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

1 1 0

10. Re: Service intervals 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The manufacturers claim it is 24 month oil and we use it but still do 12 month oil changes, little used cars put a lot of strain on the oil from condensation.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0