Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hello,

For some time there has been a problem with the right hand xenon headlamp on my wife's 2006 A4 Cabriolet.

When driving at night the lamp frequently turns off and on briefly, my wife finds it disconcerting and may distract her concentration.

I changed both headlamp bulbs (difficult access) so the colour temperatures were matched, at no small cost, but the issue persists,

When stationary the headlamp stays on even if you rock the car or hit the headlamp, so sourcing the bad connection is a problem.

Does anyone else have experience of a similar problem, my wife has a long journey coming up, much of which will be in the dark and the problem would be much better solved.

Thanks, Michael

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Start with a code read, corrosion damaged to the bulb igniter unit is common.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you Crasher, No codes unfortunately, but I was testing it in the garage with the doors shut and I found that the fault occurs on both head and dip beams at the same time, (both left hand bulbs work fine), as I expect each bulb has a separate supply I suspect that the fault may be a faulty earth. These headlights I find very difficult to get to and work on, any suggestion as to where a faulty earth may arise may save me a lot of time and grief, thanks again.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hello, I read for each headlamp there may be just one ballast for two bulbs, if this is the case could that cause the problems, looking at a Hella web page it says that if the car senses that there is a problem with the wiring harness it will turn the lamp off within 0.5 seconds. Can there be a fault with a ballast such that it will cause my problems, because the majority of the time the bulbs work, so it is likely if I tested it, given the correct specific impedance for the car, it would likely prove to be at an acceptable level. It is notable that with the car stationary and when just started the lamps will flash quite a few times but when warm it flashes much less, tapping the headlamp or surrounding bonnet with my hand does not make it flash so it seems that vibration may not be a cause.

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    What is the VIN?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    WAUZZZ8H47K017097, The job I really dread on the car, which seems mad, is changing a front indicator bulb, to do it it seems that you have to remove the front bumper, and on the cabriolet it seems that the bumper securing nuts are inacessible.

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have been having hell with a late 4L Q7 and its AFS, the headlight had five codes when it came in, a full new £2k headlight later I am down to one fault code which looks to be the Body Control Module so that's next; thankfully 4L headlights are a dream to remove and install. I have emailed you the wiring diagram.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 Xenon headlamp flashing on and off 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I have been having hell with a late 4L Q7 and its AFS, the headlight had five codes when it came in, a full new £2k headlight later I am down to one fault code which looks to be the Body Control Module so that's next; thankfully 4L headlights are a dream to remove and install. I have emailed you the wiring diagram.
    Thank you.

0 0 0