1. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I made a video of the stuttering/jerking mostly because the dealer couldn't recreate/experience the issue, I've linked it below.

After the new fuel rail pressure sensor, the car was fine for about two weeks, now is back to the same behaviour and cutting out while in traffic again.

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If it is not leaving any codes, what has been done suggests a high pressure fuel pump fault which sometimes does not generate a code BUT before that I would have a new G28 crank speed sensor fitted as these hardly ever leave a code.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher that's really interesting to know.

The issue I'm having at the moment is two-fold: (i) the dealer wont change anything unless they can diagnose it, which there are no codes so they cant... repeat in a loop, and (ii) one local indy garage was not keen on changing the crank speed sensor.
    I've booked it into the dealer for a week in August while we don't need the car. As an aside, my wife was waiting with the car idling with the DSG in Park, she could feel the car stuttering/misfiring, so not necessarily driving induced.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKent View Post
    ... unless they can diagnose it, which there are no codes so they cant...
    For things like this that can get very expense very quickly I think it's worth considering getting a VCDS cable so that you can log various things to see if they could be the cause, or better explain the effect. The cables sell for decent money afterwards, so it can be a quite cheap way to get the one necessary thing fixed, rather than try a few other (expensive) things along the way.

For example, you could log crank sensor to see if it is up to speed, or perhaps dropping signal sometimes. Likewise with other things like fuel delivery.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Garages that can't make a prognosis at least without fault codes are pathetic. Studying live data and experience are needed where a fault is more subtle... there is more to being a "technician" than barking at codes.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the VCDS tip, I'm planning to get one and get stuck in with it after returning from holiday.

One thing that we've noticed is that sometimes the fuel consumption monitor (set to show since start of the engine) can read unfeasibly high, eg. 55mpg when doing a shortish drive. Sometimes, when it does this the car will then do the jerking thing, after which the fuel consumption will sink like a stone to what I'd expect to see - something like the mid-40s mpg.

Just seems really odd behaviour, so thought I'd post it on here.

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you ever find the problem mate? Having the exact same issue as you with my golf gtd

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi - in a word, yes! After the various garages (dealer and indys) looked at the car, the dealer ran out of ideas and agreed with me that changing the Crankshaft position sensor would be worthwhile for elimination if nothing else. It was cured instantly and five weeks and 1600 miles later its still fine. Just returned after a ~500 mile round trip to south Yorkshire and it didn't miss a beat. Super happy that its done, but wish it hadnt taken almost a year to get to this point. On the invoice, the part changed was shown as a "Sender" and part number was 04L906433B, the job came to about £300 all-in.

Very sincere thanks to Crasher for suggesting it in the first place. Thank you!
    Last edited by MattKent; 23-10-2022 at 08:59 PM.

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Crankshaft speed sensor, AKA G28. The position sensor is on the camshaft and called the G40.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am new to the forum but my 2014 B8 150PS Diesel has been doing something very similar to the stuttering you describe. It has been happening for the last three to four years about two to three times a year (since the car had done about 70K miles). Always soon after starting the car (1 minute) and then it is OK. Unsettling but not a problem.
    While driving in Scotland recently on a long run the car started to do it a couple of hours into the journey. (4 to 5 times). It now does it randomly, every other outing. I get no fault codes.
    Has replacing the G28 speed sensor continued to be successful.
    I am minded to have it replaced at the next oil service as the cost would be greatly reduced as the sensor seems to be very close to the oil filter and behind the same noise insulation as the oil filter.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast