Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I have a 2015 B8 150PS Diesel DSG, GT estate 77k miles that has developed an intermittent fault which seems to be getting worse, it goes a bit like this:

When driving, generally under light-load, the car will jerk/stutter, almost like someone was kangaroo-ing the clutch. Occasionally, its less pronounced, like a misfire. Even less often its much worse to the point of being dangerous - imagine serious kangaroo clutch. Its only done the serious jerk/stutter about three times in as many months - when it does, it showed the "change key battery" message - which I have done.

Last week, in a single journey, the engine cut out completely twice while creeping through heavy traffic. The car displayed the "Manual Restart" message. When I did the manual restart, it carried on fine. Once I got to the end of the journey it was parked for about an hour, I then drove the 55 motorway miles return journey flawlessly.

Other than the Change Key Battery message, the car displays no other messages or warning lights. I've previously had the car diagnosed at the dealer and it showed no codes. Its all serviced up to date including the DSG oil changes.

I've seen a few posts on here which might point to the crankshaft position sensor, but thought I'd ask on here before putting it in for more diagnosis work.

Many thanks for any pointers anyone can give.
    Last edited by Crasher; 13-04-2022 at 11:17 AM. Reason: text size increase

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You get the change key battery whilst it is running? Yes, crank speed sensor failure is common and often does not show up as a code which is annoying.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher - yes I got the Change Key Battery message when the car did the serious jerking. I've since changed the Key Battery and when the car did the serious jerking (during the 55 mile trip) I didn't get the Change Key Battery message. Before all this I only received the Key Battery message soon after startup/shutdown of the engine, so seeing it when the car jerked, was a bit of a mystery to me.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post was, that while I cant recreate the behaviour (it seems random to me!), the car is more likely to do it if the DSG is in Sport mode. I've been driving it Normal and Eco mode as a test and it seems equally likely to stutter in those modes.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by MattKent; 14-04-2022 at 10:03 AM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The change battery warning now having gone suggests the battery was failing and that when the jerking occurs, the dash is losing power and coming back as if the ignition has just be turned on, how old is the main 12v battery?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher - the main battery is still original. Many thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I strongly suggest you fit a new Varta AGM and have it coded in before doing anything else.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher, I'll do that and see what happens.

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi again - had a new battery fitted and took it to dealer to diagnose. Left it with them overnight and their tech took it home - as you'd expect, they were unable to recreate the fault. A day after I collected, the car jerked again. I've been advised to monitor. Ho hum!

I've seen some other similar symptoms by a Golf Mk7 TDI owner where Crasher responded (on another forum - not sure of the etiquette of posting other VW Forums on here) which seemed to suggest the fuel pressure sensor could be a culprit.

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes but that leaves a code usually.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat B8 150PS Diesel DSG Stuttering/Jerking 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I thought I'd post a follow-up on here after a few things have happened, apologies for being a bit long.

After the new battery, and another attempt at diagnosing the fault - with no luck, the car began to get worse to drive but still no fault codes.

In desperation to try something, I asked a local independent VW garage to take a look and change the camshaft sensor - as this is fairly easy to get to. They did various tests and changed the sensor, but the car didn't play up for them. Needless to say, three miles into the drive home - it began jerking...

Recently, it needed its 80k mile (major) service, so I asked the dealer to take another look. They suggested changing the fuel rail pressure sensor, which they did. Whether it was changing the fuel filter as part of the service, or the change to the fuel rail sensor - the problem has improved, but not gone. We now only occasionally get the serious jerking, with mostly a small hesitation - like a misfire but in both cases, it happens much less frequently.

I've begun to wonder if there is some sort of air leak that has been improved by the priming of the system after the work? Whatever the change, I'm beginning to think its fuel related rather than sensor malfunction.

Happy to hear any constructive thoughts or pointers, thanks all.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast