Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I need to replace a front wheel bearing. Any recommendations on the best brands to use and ones to avoid would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We use Febi but there are many great makes such as SKF, NSK, FAG, Meyle, SNR etc any many come as kits BUT you are likely to need a new hub as the inner race nearly always sticks on and getting it off is evil and if it comes off easily it is usually worn and these are available aftermarket from Febi, Meyle and a few others.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher feedback appreciated.
    Just got home from 50 mile journey and I'm now not exactly sure it's a bearing. The noise is horrendous. It's a rotational/cyclic knocking, very noisy and worse when going down hill with foot off brake and not accelerating. Started yesterday morning as a cyclic scraping noise. My logic is that a bearing would not be a cyclic noise, but constant?
    My guess is a CV joint or driveshaft?
    I popped into a tyre shop yesterday and they put it on ramps and had a good look but nothing obvious (I know that they're not engineers but they did have a look for free).
    I'll take a look this afternoon.
    I'm assuming that if I can't see anything the best way to pinpoint the fault is to have it raised up in a garage and in drive to check where the noise is from?
    Regards

0 0 0

4. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Atypical bearing failure is a constant drone only varying with amplitude with speed or steering input, a knocking suggests a CV joint, quattro?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It's a front wheel drive. I've had the car almost 20 years so I guess it may be worth replacing both sides if it tuns out to be CV joint? I think the shocks need doing anyway, so I'll do them also (possibly coils as well while I'm taking it all apart).

0 0 0

6. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Be very selective over the springs, the only pattern ones I will used are Suplex but the UK importer doesn't keep a great stock level.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Discovered the problem straight away. Loose wheel nuts, only finger tight! Absolutely no idea why, went for an MOT a few months ago but I'm sure they wouldn't take off wheels?

On your comments about good aftermarket brands (which I'm very grateful for), I've had no luck in finding a good supplier at a sensible price. There seems to be one main online supplier (Germany) that goes under several names and the reviews are awful with goods taking several weeks to arrive despite being "in stock". GSF and Euro Car parts tend to have limited brands for parts that I need. Very frustrating.
    Regards...

0 0 0

8. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That German company has many different names and they are a very difficult company to deal with, if you have a problem or warranty issue, forget it. Suplex have a UK outlet http://www.excelautomotivegroup.com but you need to identify which ones you need, they will probably have to order them in for you.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

0 0 0

10. Re: Wheel bearing brand recommendations (Audi A6 2002 2.5 TDI) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I know this post is from last year, but it's possible that I may need to replace a front nearside bearing. I found this on the Meyle web site (see image). Does this mean that I don't need a press as the bearing assembly bolts into the hub carrier, or am I missing something?

Meyle hub repair kit image.JPG

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast