1. 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Car has been sat. Has always had this issue where the idle is very irratic when it starts to warm up. Sometimes stalls.

Recently tried to reset the TB through vcds, im not sure if it did it or not as may have other underlying issues causing a similar symptom

It is not road worth so have not driven it up the road but when sat still and revving the engine it is VERY reluctant to rev up, seems to not want to go above 3500ish.

Sounds like it is misfiring, will change the plugs and give a new coil pack for good measure.

I have read it with VCDS and have these codes;
    - 00520 - Air Mass/Air Flow Sensor (G70)/(G19) 31-00 - Open or Short to Ground

- 00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) - 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

- 00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation 19-00 Lower Limit

The exhaust is blowing from where the downpipe bolts to the manifold. Believe it needs a gasket

Money is no object, clean interior and body, it is a project and I will not be defeated.

Seems to be a common issue with the AKL, any help? What do these codes means exactly as new to vagcom!

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Money no object and a refusal to being beaten, so sound as mad as me! Anyway, the AKL is a PITA for idle issues so first of all clear those codes. Remove the throttle body and give it a good clean inside and check the condition of the air inlet pipe where it goes to the breather plus the stability of the breather tower on the cam cover, not loose and wobbly. With the TB back on, refit the accel cable to match the pedal pushed all the way down but preloaded by one circling step, the cable must be loose and baggy with the pedal at rest. Then, with the battery on charge (you MUST have over 12v when doing this), go into adaptation 10 and select group 00 and click test, save and yes… do this three times. The come back out in to basic settings 04 and select group 098 and go, allow the TB to do its whirring and clicking and then leave the ignition on for 30 seconds. Turn the ignition off for 30 seconds and then on for 30 seconds and then start.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Money no object and a refusal to being beaten, so sound as mad as me! Anyway, the AKL is a PITA for idle issues so first of all clear those codes. Remove the throttle body and give it a good clean inside and check the condition of the air inlet pipe where it goes to the breather plus the stability of the breather tower on the cam cover, not loose and wobbly. With the TB back on, refit the accel cable to match the pedal pushed all the way down but preloaded by one circling step, the cable must be loose and baggy with the pedal at rest. Then, with the battery on charge (you MUST have over 12v when doing this), go into adaptation 10 and select group 00 and click test, save and yes… do this three times. The come back out in to basic settings 04 and select group 098 and go, allow the TB to do its whirring and clicking and then leave the ignition on for 30 seconds. Turn the ignition off for 30 seconds and then on for 30 seconds and then start.

Okay thanks for the reply Crasher. When you mention the Breather Tower, are you referring to the part that the oil filler cap screws into? Because I have already noted that it is weeping quite a bit of oil and can be wiggled. Could that be a major player into my issue then?

Other than that, I will go through the steps you have given me and will report back. May be a while as am busy this week.

Thankyou again!

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes the adapter unit on the cover, if they leak they allow in unmetered air that the AMM does not know about and so the ECU gets confused.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes the adapter unit on the cover, if they leak they allow in unmetered air that the AMM does not know about and so the ECU gets confused.
    Could that oil cap pcv unit cause the fault with the Air Mass unit that I have? Or should I get a new Air Mass sensor too

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    No, the AMM fault is more than likely due to some……. inexperienced person…restraint… disconnecting the AMM with the ignition on, mechanics nursery school error

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, that was probably me as I wanted to see if it reverted to a "safe" map and ran better.

Apologies for the questions but I am still trying to learn about this engine. I do have another 1.6 AKL which runs beautifully (going by all these forums on the AKL, seems I've found a unicorn!). Hence why my rough idling/stalling AKL is driving me insane lol

I have ordered up a new engine breather (where the oil cap goes onto) and the intake pipe, as it has a small pipe that joins the breather and a thin rubber pipe that seems to plug into the underside of the intake manifold. Could a split on this hose cause issues too?

Just trying to cover the "cheap" bases and do them at once for piece of mind before I start spending real money.

Cheers mate

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Any, even the tiniest, air leak into the intake system after the AMM can cause a lot of trouble

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any, even the tiniest, air leak into the intake system after the AMM can cause a lot of trouble
    Okay thats making sense. Assuming the issue with the engine breather and possibly a split hose post AMM, that would mess with the fuel mixture and throw up the Lambda code I have right?

What about the engine speed sensor fault I have? Could that be linked

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.6 AKL hunting idle/does not rev up 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    The throttle body on this vehicle has 7 terminals not the usual type which always has 5 terminals the reason being the 7 terminals has 2 tracts. the throttle body on your akl is inter connected to the the cam position sensor & crankshaft position & coolant temp sensor. i would imagine owing to age of vehicle to start by checking
    out earths or wiring to & from ecu

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast