1. Caddy 1.6TDi CAYD engine new cambelt kit fitted but whining noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, my 2013 Caddy 1.6TDi has just had a new cambelt kit + waterpump fitted (still only 40k miles) and a full service but after using it for about 150 miles I'm convinced it now has a whining noise from the engine that was not present prior to the belt being fitted.
    I've questioned the garage (non VW) and he at first said it's the turbo but then agreed he was listening to a "different" noise to what i was hearing.

Can anyone point me to a possible causes? I know everything was fine with the vehicle prior to this and the cambelt was only being changed due to the 4 year rule
    Garage owner is reluctant to admit it's anything to do with the work they've done and it must have been pre-existing and I just hadn't notice it previously.

He says he will remove the aux belt and see if the whining goes away - if it does it's obviously one of the components driven by the aux drive belt, if it doesn't it must be something under the cambelt cover (and therefore his responsibility).
    I'm not sure how this is all going to pan out but I'm not happy with the whining noise or his "I know best" and "they all sound like that" attitude.

The vehicle had a full cambelt kit fitted by VW at 8700miles in 2017 due to the 4 year rule so this is the second one also under the 4 year rule.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation with cambelt whine after renewal, I've found several cases on the net but mostly due to too tight adjustment of the manual tensioner but mine is an automatic adjuster.

Thanks
    Tony

0 0 0

2. Re: Caddy 1.6TDi CAYD engine new cambelt kit fitted but whining noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The four year rule is a figment of VAG UK imagination, the FACTORY dealer service service system elsa Pro just says 220000km’s with no time span BUT the four year rule dreamt up by VAG UK was changed to five years from cars built post 2000. Which it did the garage use?

0 0 0

3. Re: Caddy 1.6TDi CAYD engine new cambelt kit fitted but whining noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, that's useful to know. I suppose it's just UK dealers drumming up business for themselves. On the VW service receipt from 2017 it is typed across the top:-

" Camshaft belts are due for renewal 60 - 140k depending on model and maximum 4 years"

My service book makes no reference to renewal periods at all. If I had been the owner of the vehicle when they replaced it at 8710 miles I wouldn't have been very pleased.

The decision to replace it last week was mine - due to it being 4½ years since the last change, had I known what you have just told me I would have left it another 30k or so.
    I did hear there was a change from 4 to 5 years but I expect to be doing more mileage this year so I asked the garage to change it whilst doing a full service.
    Do you have a link to the 'FACTORY dealer service service system elsa Pro' instruction?
    Any clues what might be causing the whining noise I'm now hearing?

0 0 0

4. Re: Caddy 1.6TDi CAYD engine new cambelt kit fitted but whining noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    To get into the factory service system ELSA pro you have to be a VAG make dealer or an EU VAT registered independent repairer and have gone through all sorts of ID checks and solicitors letters, passport info etc etc and the route to that is painful and arduous, we have been doing this for 40 years and we only got in about five years ago but Brexit has threatened to put an end to this.

0 0 0

5. Re: Caddy 1.6TDi CAYD engine new cambelt kit fitted but whining noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a quick update to this,
    After talking again with the garage I agreed to use it for a while and see if anything developed - on the basis of all work they had done being covered by their warranty.
    I used normally it for about 3.5k miles and noticed that the whining appeared to be getting louder, so before I went back to the garage that did the work I went for a second opinion at a well respected local garage and they were good enough to there and then get a stethoscope on the engine and also let me listen.
    Three of their mechanics all said it was definitely coming from under the cambelt cover and reckoned on a tight cambelt, my own thought was a noisy bearing (50 years in aerospace engineering made me think that).
    So back to the garage that did the work, they agreed to have another look at it - took off the aux belt and the whining was still present so they took off the cambelt kit and replaced it with a new one.
    Problem solved, all sounds as it should now.
    According to the garage owner all they could find with the first kit was that the bearing in the cambelt tensioner felt less than perfect.
    All costs were covered by the parts warranty, who knows what it would have cost them if the bearing had totally failed!

0 0 0

6. Re: Caddy 1.6TDi CAYD engine new cambelt kit fitted but whining noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We only fit genuine VAG cam belt kit kits for this reason.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0