Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello
    Bought a mk6 golf 1.6 TDI to drive as my daily and I bought it knowing it will need a new turbo as it had a over boost code so I bought a turbo for it (used) and replaced it myself.

Now I have white smoke from the exhaust and I tried driving it on the ramp as I have no MOT on it and drove a good 15-20 miles but it's still the same. I then did a diagnoses on it and it came up with a fault code 7337 egr system - p0401 insufficient flow.... So then I decided not to reopen everything back up just to replace the egr and instead took it to a well reputable company and told them to just delete the egr.. they have remapped the car for me and blanked and deleted the egr system but they said it's still throwing out white smoke.

Now what could it be? The car drives perfectly, boost coming as normal and no engine codes or lights etc yet so much smoke!

Have even done a dpf Regen on it as the soot levels where high (around 30) and now they are showing 5-6 max so what could the white smoke be?

Could it be possible the turbo is faulty?

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Deleting the EGR is illegal and an MOT failure (if spotted) so I am not getting involved.

0 0 0

3. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Egr has been replaced with a brand new one now and software back to original... Still getting the white smoke which I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. Have now done a injector leak test and it checks out fine all same level of leaking. I removed the turbo and can see white smoke (clouds) coming from the turbo which is leaving some black deposit inside the turbo.. looks like soot...I have no engine codes so I really don't know what to check anymore...

I also bought a brand new turbo and when initially starting it it sounds fine but then all of a sudden it makes like a vacuum sucking noise as if it's blocked and then I get a engine light and glowplug flashing, vcds showing p2563 00 ... A brand new turbo yet I gave issues with it too... I'm getting no where with this car sadly

0 0 0

4. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    18995/P2563/009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit: Implausible Signal

Where did this “brand new” turbo come from?

0 0 0

5. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    18995/P2563/009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit: Implausible Signal

Where did this “brand new” turbo come from?
    Sorry my bad, reconditioned not brand new... They are quite reputable, turbo surgery in Peterborough.. have bought atleast 3 turbos from them previously never had issues with them but this one seems like the boost valve is closing itself?

Regardless that's a seperate issue however the white smoke was happening with my old turbo and the new turbo so that is not turbo related... As for the engine code I will get in touch with the company about it.

Thanks.

0 0 0

6. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    What you need to do is remove injectors get the spray pattern checked out.

0 0 0

7. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeybo View Post
    What you need to do is remove injectors get the spray pattern checked out.
    Hello

Thank you for reply, could the injectors be bad even though the car itself runs perfectly no idle misfiring issues? I have also done a leak test and it checks out good as well so I was thinking maybe it was more egr intake related issue? After some research it does say bad egr can cause white smoke...

0 0 0

8. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    If you think its the EGR, just blank it off where it enters the inlet manifold or at the engine block face.

The ECU will put the engine into limp mode with reduced output, but if the smoke disappears you will know you're on the right track.

0 0 0

9. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Dropbox - IMG_20220214_121414.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - IMG_20220214_121409.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - IMG_20220214_121100.jpg - Simplify your life

Dropbox - IMG_20220214_121356.jpg - Simplify your life

I think I may have found the issue... Removed the egr return pipe from the inlet manifold to find it's pretty much completely blocked up.... I can see the square plate they installed from ecomax but guess they didn't remove the pipe fully to see it blocked up... Would this be the cause of white smoke?? The deposits left on the turbo exhaust flange definitely look like this

0 0 0

10. Re: Mk6 1.6 TDI white smoke from exhaust? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    That needs the entire system cleaning out and a new EGR unit.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast