Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi 80 2.0E 1994 Automatic gearbox swap, valve body control question.

1. Audi 80 2.0E 1994 Automatic gearbox swap, valve body control question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey VWAudiForum

My dad is driving a 1994 Audi 80 2.0E ABK, Automatic 4 speed gearbox 097 letters: CFW
    The gearbox on the car have been sounding weird in 4th gear since we bought it 5 years ago.
    Lately the car wont go into 4th so the day has come to exchange the gearbox for a new properly working one.
    And on last gearbox service there was metal in the oil. (it has actually done 72000km while sounding "unhealthy in 4th")

I am a mechanic and happen to have the original procedure for a Audi 80 097 gearbox exchange on hand so no problem there.

However locating a CFW gearbox have not been possible. Understandably seeing the car is 27 years old.

The closest match i have found is an ATT, however when looking closer the ATT gearbox, it has another valve body.

The CFW gearbox is using LBA valve body

The ATT gearbox is using LAC valve body.

So my question is, can the gearbox computer currently in the car (Code: CFW) control another valve body?
    Both gearboxes have the same amount of gear wheel teeth internally.

The ATT gearbox is also using another torque converter, but that should be fine.
    Gear ratios also vary, but so little it will hardly be felt.

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Best regards
    Felix

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi 80 2.0E 1994 Automatic gearbox swap, valve body control question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    It would need to be another 097A so a CBT is the only other code listed but that has a 4.22 final drive where the CFW is 3.91, the ATT is a 097C for a V6 2.6 ABC engine. It is annoying that the CFW is about the only box not available from Tradition but if it was the price would be approx 5000€

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi 80 2.0E 1994 Automatic gearbox swap, valve body control question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah i see.
    I was actually under the impression that the internal amount of gear wheel teeth would need to be identical.
    I have been using an online version of ElsaWin to look closer at the internals of the gearboxes.

https://en.kolhosniki.ru/gearbox&code=cfw,cbt

But i have actually been able to locate 2 CBT gearboxes for sale used in my country, both are priced around 500 USD.
    Both gearboxes are around 150k km, and have a warranty for a year so seems pretty sound.

My dad wont mind the difference in gear ratios, as long as he can keep the car going he will be happy.
    So im actually thinking of buying one of the CBT gearboxes.
    If i do, is it simply swapping the CFW for the CBT, or will i need to reset the computer?
    I know a guy who has a VAG 1551A tester lying around, so it would be possible.

Thanks for the reply!
    Best regards
    Felix

0 1 0

4. Re: Audi 80 2.0E 1994 Automatic gearbox swap, valve body control question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    My doctor recommended CBT the other day but I said it was snake oil, just keep giving me the happy pills!

I don't know if it will need re-setting, it must be 25 years since I touched on of those.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi 80 2.0E 1994 Automatic gearbox swap, valve body control question. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a matter of fact i think i will need CBT, the actual thing.

Found an original CFW gearbox with low milage. Have spent the weekend with a friend getting everything exchanged- went really well- and we had it ready Saturday evening.
    Following original oil exchange procedures for filling and then tried taking a drive in the car to fill all gears with oil.

However changing gear with the new gearbox is almost impossible.
    After a long night, i took the oil out again and there is black/grey material in the oil (Brake-band).

So the new gearbox has a bad break-band. Oil level has been checked multiple times with engine running and after gearchanges and all fine...
    Contacted the shop where i got it (used) and no problems with the refund... BUT WHAT ARE THE ODDS, two bad gearboxes in a row!?

Anyways, i went ahead and bought the CBT gearbox today that i previously found.
    And to look on the bright side, no bolts will be stuck now- everything is well greased...

Thanks for the help
    Best regards

0 0 0