1. Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Is anyone else having issues with Apple CarPlay?

Often I’ll get in to the car, the phone will connect but the CarPlay screen is black and can’t be interacted with, I have to disconnect and reconnect the phone through the infotainment settings. Quite annoying as I’ve often driven off by the time everything is booted up and connected!

I also find it sometimes gets very sluggish and unresponsive, despite me having a relatively new iPhone 12.

0 0 0

2. Re: Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have an iPhone 12, and don't have the problems you described. Occasionally I have the music from my phone go silent for up to a second or two, randomly. However next time I get in the car I don't have any problems.

These days I rely on the Apple Maps app for my GPS as I can ask Siri to take me to such-and-such. Also CarPlay can integrate with my calendar, and offer to direct me to the address in my next appointment in my calendar. It works brilliantly. I've only once had it lose the connection, but after maybe a minute it all reconnected, and continued on.

I work as a movie sound recordist, and I'm well aware that wireless connections (in my case for sound) are never 100% reliable.

0 0 0

3. Re: Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Maybe worth completely erasing the phone from the car and also the car from the phone and then repair them from scratch

0 1 0

4. Re: Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Apologies, I appreciate that this is an old-ish thread, but I've been facing the same issue in my 2020 Audi A4 Avant. Just randomly drops Apple connection, sometimes, just a black-screen and the only solution is to disconnect and reconnect again - which is bloody annoying when you're driving, especially as I need my glasses on (but cannot see when driving w/glasses on!!!). I had it on my iPhone XS, recently upgraded to an iPhone 13 Pro - and it's *exactly* the same with this one. Drives me mad, honestly - more than it should do probably I know!!

I took it into the dealer, and they ran some diagnostics, did a s/w and firmware upgrade - they had it in all morning to be fair but they proved it could not be Audi side as the MMI remains connected at all times to the phone itself. Seen a few Apple forums where it's doing the same thing and they suggest scrubbing the phone, but I'm not convinced given the exact same symptoms on 2 entirely different phones, and I only want to do that as a last resort as it's a work phone with additional security layers and will take such a long time to setup again. (Also checked with developers at work who categorically deny it's their security which could affect it - plus my new phone also had the issue before I applied the component). I was hoping latest version of iOS might help it but nope. Hoping next iOS cures it, but not hopeful.

Just wondered if anyone had similar issue & solution / ideas. Thanks for listening
    A4 Avant 2.0 TDi S-line S-Tronic - Quartz Grey, 19" 7 arm alloys, Technology Package (High) incl. Sat Nav / MMI / B&O etc, Dynamic Steering/Susp, Hill Hold Assist, Parking Plus, Piano Black inlays

0 0 0

5. Re: Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    This section of the forum is for the current VW Golf (mk8) which, depending on when they switched the A4 to MIB-3 (you would have the touchscreen display and no MMI knob if it is MIB-3), may be using a different OS than Your Audi. Even my 2021 A6 which is MIB-3 is not completely the same as my wife’s Golf 8 so you may get a better response asking on year appropriate A4 section of the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 1 0

6. Re: Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuosity View Post
    ... but they proved it could not be Audi side as the MMI remains connected at all times to the phone itself.
    I'm not sure that proves anything as there are probably different different "conversations" going on at the same time. A bit similar to only having no left channel of stereo working but being told it must be OK as the other one is working.

Does it work over Bluetooth or wi-fi? Either way someone should be able to put a "promiscuous" scanner nearby to see what part of which protocol seems to be freezing, producing errors, etc.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 1 0

7. Re: Unreliable Apple CarPlay 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    This section of the forum is for the current VW Golf (mk8) which, depending on when they switched the A4 to MIB-3 (you would have the touchscreen display and no MMI knob if it is MIB-3), may be using a different OS than Your Audi. Even my 2021 A6 which is MIB-3 is not completely the same as my wife’s Golf 8 so you may get a better response asking on year appropriate A4 section of the forum.
    thanks, you're right, I arrived here from a search engine and didn't notice the section I was in. apologies.
    A4 Avant 2.0 TDi S-line S-Tronic - Quartz Grey, 19" 7 arm alloys, Technology Package (High) incl. Sat Nav / MMI / B&O etc, Dynamic Steering/Susp, Hill Hold Assist, Parking Plus, Piano Black inlays

0 0 0