Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement?

1. 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone know what this noise is? It happened after replacing the turbo as I had no boost. I will admit I put a used turbo sold by a private seller but checked for play in the turbines both sides before purchasing...

I have retightened the manifold bolts thinking they might be loose but it hasn't fixed the issue. I have removed the dpf as I thought maybe it was related but it wasn't. The smoke you can see is from the turbo to dpf side, goes away ones the dpf is connected back up. But the screeching noise what can it be? Could it be a faulty turbo even though I didn't feel any play on the turbines????? Also if I disconnect the boost solenoid valve connector from the top of the engine, the noise goes away but will come back as soon as I reconnect it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sa7llzjyf8wn97/VID_20211228_155517.mp4?dl=0

Hope
    I don't have to redo the job!!!!

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nobody knows?

I am thinking its either the manifold gasket as I used the old one and didnt replace it or its the turbo itself but the problem is if I open it all up again do I just replace the gasket and put it all back together again or replace the turbo itself.. Such a mess

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sounds like the EGR pipe gasket at one end or the other.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Sounds like the EGR pipe gasket at one end or the other.
    Hello crasher thank you for reply, So definitely can't be a bad turbo? Just trying to weigh up if it's worth opening everything to replace gaskets or open it all and replace the turbo too...

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Could be a bad turbo, it is why we now refuse to use second hand parts, the hours they have lost me over the last 40 years could make me weep, you should never reuse gaskets, it is false economy; do it right so you only do it once. The most common leak is on the pipe back up to the head which is tricky and prone to cross threading.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6 TDI squealing noise after turbo replacement? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Could be a bad turbo, it is why we now refuse to use second hand parts, the hours they have lost me over the last 40 years could make me weep, you should never reuse gaskets, it is false economy; do it right so you only do it once. The most common leak is on the pipe back up to the head which is tricky and prone to cross threading.

I know but I thought I was being clever by spending just £70 on a used turbo rather than £250 for reconditioned.. lesson learnt. I still have a big doubt as to believe it's the turbo because the car is pulling good and strong..

By the pipe going "back up to the head" which pipe exactly do you mean? Are you talking about the oil feed/return pipe going from under the turbo to the banjo bolt on the engine block?

I can see some oil drip coming from this oil feed pipe but not certain if that is the cause for my squealing noise.

Thanks.

0 0 0