Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2014 VW Golf MK7 GT DSG

A recent intermittent fault has arisen that is baffling me......

Sometimes when I come to use the screen washers on the front/rear I get no water from the jets? The pump does not not function, but the wipers react thinking the screen has been washed.

I have checked the pump and that functions correctly. I have checked power is getting to the pump. I have checked and there are no blockages in the pipes to the nozzles.

Also occasionally the rear wiper will not function when I try to wipe the screen - although the front one will function.

If I stop the car - turn the ignition off - then on again - it clears the faults and everything functions correctly.

Clearly an electrical issue but I am not sure where to start with fault finding. Is there a wiper control module/ecu that could be at fault??

Any advice very greatly received!
    Guy

2.0tdi GT DSG, Pacific Blue, Vienna "Shetland" leather sports seats, Discover Pro Nav system, Colour multifunction display, 2-zone Climate control, steel door sill trims, Rear chrome strip

0 0 0

2. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    When they won't spray, can you here the pump run? Has this only been when it is below freezing?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No the pump isn't running. No it happens in all temperatures. I'm thinking its possibly an electrical issue in the wiper switch
    Guy

2.0tdi GT DSG, Pacific Blue, Vienna "Shetland" leather sports seats, Discover Pro Nav system, Colour multifunction display, 2-zone Climate control, steel door sill trims, Rear chrome strip

0 0 0

4. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If the wipers respond to the wash/wipe command then no, the switch is sending the position signal to the steering column ECU and this is being transmitted by digital CAN BUS to the body control ECU which operates the wiper motor by digital LIN BUS and directly operates the screen wash motor via an unfused electronic switched output.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the detailed reply Crasher. Nice to find someone who knows what they are talking about!

Unfortunately, this is an intermittent fault which makes fault finding tricky. While I can use a multimeter, and am very competent with pre-ecu car electrics, I don’t have access to VAG diagnostics and so have to take the car to a garage for any warning light resets due to unplugging/fault finding that costs a great deal.
    I have checked and have 12v at the front washer pump. But when the fault occurs, I am always travelling so cannot check for 12v at the time of the fault.
    To confirm:

1. Sometimes, when I operate the front washer – no water comes from the pump – BUT the wipers operate as though washed.
    2. If the front washer operation fails to pump water– the rear also fails to pump water
    3. With the above fault if I stop the car, switch the ignition off and on again, the fault clears and both front and rear washers work correctly
    4. Occasionally the rear wiper fails to operate – although the front wipers still operate.

Is the any further fault finding I can do/you recommend?
    In the meantime - Happy New Year
    Guy

0 0 0

6. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The pump is reversible and supplies front and rear screen jets. The Valeo rear wiper motors with spindle jets have been one of the most unreliable components VAG have used in the last 20 years, absolutely laughable. If the body control module detects that the pump is under too much load it will shut the circuit down to protect itself but sometimes fails such as when the pump fluid is frozen and this can blow the BCM; the Polo from 2002 also uses a similar system but instead of trying to protect itself, VW fitted a fuse…

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again for the info Crasher.

My Golf doesn't have a spindle washer thankfully - and the rear motor is nice and free and working well.

To add to the issue I now find the "automatic rain sensing" wipers have reverted to standard interval wash only. I have made sure that on the Discover Pro system the "Auto wiper function" is checked. In fact I have toggled it on and off a few times - but makes no difference. I had the same issue some months ago - but it then sorted itself mysteriously and once again worked automatically.

I even took the car to a local Bosch dealer who plugged the car in to diagnostics.

What they found were the following messages:

B126113
    Guy

0 0 0

8. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the message Crasher.

Thankfully I dont have a spindle jet on my 2104 Golf.

Another issue that arisen is that the "auto rain sensing wiper" function has reverted to standard interval wipe only. I have double checked the option is checked in the Discover Pro system and toggled it on and off a few times - but it will not auto sense. This happened a few months and then mysteriously corrected itself.........

I did take the car to a local Bosch diagnostics centre who plugged the car in and found the following:
    B126113 Windscreen washer pump open circuit
    B126101 Windscreen washer pump electrical fault
    B136676 Rain/light sensor installation position not plausible
    But since then the washers have been working - though sometimes with the faults described previously.

Any advice greatly appreciated as its so frustrating!!!!!!
    Guy

0 0 0

9. Re: Wiper issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    The diagnostic reports a faulty pump & you have said it's been intermittent.

I would just change the pump.

When you remove the old one check the wiring plug for any corrosion or damaged wiring.

Regarding the rain/ light sensor, the fault reports "installation position not plausible", could it have been disturbed or come loose?

1 1 0