1. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Final outcome was no codes and system operated correctly and stayed pressurised. Since then coolant level has dropped slightly and smell of coolant detected at the rear of the car. Is there a coolant supply within the EGR system as the garage suggested that might be the issue. I have extended the warranty for another year to make sure if it is something expensive that it is covered.

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Update - since it was in the garage driven 500 miles, required 1 litre of coolant (from below low to full line), drove car 100 miles required 800ml of liquid for same, so it looks like the car is dropping to a level below low and staying there, in the previous 5k miles it only dropped to this level. Smell of coolant still around exhausts after a town run but not after a motorway run. Car is being run maybe twice or 3 times a week. Also when I top up the coolant level after an hour the system is still pressurised at the filler, could it be the filler lid that is at fault as there is no staining on the engine that I can see

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Has the area around the oil pressure valve been checked for coolant residue as in the picture I posted.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Has the area around the oil pressure valve been checked for coolant residue as in the picture I posted.
    For the diagnostic money I was disappointed by the garages response so I can not guarantee it was checked. I will get a second opinion on this, thanks for your response Crasher

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Further update no leak at the pressure valve but loss of fluid when the car does a regeneration and just under a litre lost each time. Last regen was started during a drive and continued with the car off in a garage forecourt (lots of heat, fans running constantly and coolant smell near the rear half of the car which is the only clue I had what it was doing as mpg seemed fairly normal up to that point) continued drive home and on checking coolant level had dropped and 800ml to fill back to level. Topped up and no apparent loss so far, so is there any coolant involved in the EGR valve or regeneration cycle? I can cope with the issue as it isn't a constant loss and the amount is consistent but still want to get sorted whilst I have a warranty in place, it also threw a suspension fault light doing nothing yesterday but on restart all cleared and normal function restored.

0 0 0

6. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I have a bit of a rule on this engine, if it loses coolant, change the valve no matter what else you think as 99% of the time it is the valve... bit of a big job but cheap part.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I have a bit of a rule on this engine, if it loses coolant, change the valve no matter what else you think as 99% of the time it is the valve... bit of a big job but cheap part.
    My problem is the warranty (AA Premium) will not pay for the work unless the diagnostics identify the issue, which is why I am trying to establish what it might be as it has cost over £200 so far in diagnostics to tell me there is nothing wrong. The garage said the valve change would be an expensive job in the thousands for the level of strip required. Thanks for your reply.

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    We had a young mum of two in with her Q7 a few weeks back and Audi had quoted her £2500 ish but we did it for around half that. The problem with this valve is you can't see it until everything is stripped down; I hate used car warranties, they are a total PITA!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Coolant smell and no aux heater 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well coolant issue the least of my worries now, suspension dropped and likely to be sensors...In garage on Thursday but not be fixed just for the diagnostics but can't go up the motorway above 35mph until it is all fixed, I will get them to have a look at the coolant issue and from the codes there was an ADblue sensor closed off as well (although this code may be an old one as it didn't come back). Looks like rear offside height sensor is missing/damaged

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12