1. Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    My 2018 car with 26k miles has had the brake warning light come on. I'm assuming it's the front brakes as at last service (March) the audi report said the front pads were 65% worn and discs would need changing with the pads.

I've read every thread I can find on here re brakes and have a few questions:

1. My cars PR number for front discs is 1LN. These are the larger 375mm discs and there seem to be only a couple of manufacturers which supply these -

Zimmermann - £240 each!
    ABS - £140/each

I'm yet to find out the price of genuine discs. It looks from past posts that @Retom suggests Zimmermann are suppliers for oem.

Is there any reason to choose genuine over aftermarket for something like brakes? Does anyone have any feedback on which they have fitted?

2. For pads, it seems there's a number of aftermarket options:

Ferodo Premier - £35
    Brembo P 85 165 - £80
    Textar 2586101 - £125

Genuine from audipartsdirect are £165. Same question as above - who makes the genuine pads and any reason not to go AM?

I don't want to find the brakes squeal or give sub optimal performance, but I also don't want to pay >£1000 going to audi, if I can avoid it.

Would appreciate any feedback from others.

0 0 0

2. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    There is no reason to buy OEM parts as long as there are good branded replacements from companies such as Zimmermann, Textar, ATE, TRW, Brembo or Ferodo. Many of these manufacturers are suppliers of the braking system parts for the first assembly for Audi.
    If I remember correctly, the original brake discs for the Q7 are either supplied by Zimmermann or ATE. The front brake pads are mainly Textar and TRW for the rear.
    If you buy them from the aftermarket supplier, often the only difference with the OEM will be the lack of the Audi logo and VAG catalog numbers. And of course lower price.
    I mostly buy here: https://www.*******.co.uk/ ( a u t o d o c)

PS. ABS as a replacement for IMO is of lower quality than the companies mentioned above. From them you can buy brake pad wear sensors, but rather not brake discs or pads. Of course, brake discs or brake pads from ABS are not dangerous, but they will just last for a shorter period of time.

0 1 0

3. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retom View Post
    There is no reason to buy OEM parts as long as there are good branded replacements from companies such as Zimmermann, Textar, ATE, TRW, Brembo or Ferodo. Many of these manufacturers are suppliers of the braking system parts for the first assembly for Audi.
    If I remember correctly, the original brake discs for the Q7 are either supplied by Zimmermann or ATE. The front brake pads are mainly Textar and TRW for the rear.
    If you buy them from the aftermarket supplier, often the only difference with the OEM will be the lack of the Audi logo and VAG catalog numbers. And of course lower price.
    I mostly buy here: https://www.*******.co.uk/ ( a u t o d o c)

PS. ABS as a replacement for IMO is of lower quality than the companies mentioned above. From them you can buy brake pad wear sensors, but rather not brake discs or pads. Of course, brake discs or brake pads from ABS are not dangerous, but they will just last for a shorter period of time.
    Thanks @Retom. In fact it's ******* I'm looking at - the mobile app is cheaper than the website. At the moment, they have 39% off. Do you know what the max discount they offer is if I was to be patient (Im assuming 50%)?

One strange thing which has happened - I understand the brake pad sensor operates by creating a closed circuit, and once it is sufficiently worn down, it'll be open circuit (causing the light). However, this morning, I drove for over 30 mins and the light did not come on (!). Does that mean it could be a faulty / loose sensor?

0 0 0

4. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    It's hard for me to talk about discounts because it probably depends on the country and I'm not from the UK. As I wrote, I have been buying parts from "a u t o d o c" for years and I am always happy with their prices and shipping speed. ******* is a German company but it operates in many countries in Europe, including the UK.
    I do not know what is the reason for the brake light going out. Brake pad wear sensors are simple technology, work by shorting to ground and even if one of these sensors is damaged, the one at the other wheel should work. Just in case, take a torch and check the condition of the brake pads through the holes in the rims. Normally, 500-700 miles can still be driven from the moment the brake pad information comes on.
    But it would be dangerous if, as a result of the complete wear of the pads, there was a friction between metal and metal.

0 0 0

5. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I've arranged for a brake inspection from an independent and will get him to check the sensors as well. Thanks for the advice.

0 0 0

6. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I don't know why Aut0doc is a banned word but yes they have access to an extensive range of manufactures at good prices BUT delivery to the UK is painfully slow (circa 10 days) and if ANYTHING goes wrong, a total nightmare to deal with. From a number of unhappy experiences I strongly advise anyone receiving parts from them to take a number of pictures of the package BEFORE you open it and when opened, with the parts inside. Before taking ANYTHING out of its manufacturers packaging ENSURE the part is exactly correct, DO NOT attempt to fit it if you suspect it may be incorrect as that becomes a warranty issue with them rather than an incorrect part and their warranty process is torture.

0 0 0

7. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    This is turning out to be quite a frustrating problem. The light intermittently was coming on. I went almost 2 whole days (driving one hour max on each day) without the light coming on and then it came on this morning immediately (quite cold outside at the time). The Audi garage took a look at it and said a) the brakes were absolutely fine, and b) there were signs of water ingress in the sensor plug but that they cleaned it out. However, the light has come on again just now on the school run.

Audi said it could be a problem with the loom which would cost ~£1000 to fix and wiring is not covered by warranty. I'm not sure if just changing the sensors might be a good start. Or has anyone else had a similar issue and what was the fix?

0 0 0

8. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fezster View Post
    This is turning out to be quite a frustrating problem. The light intermittently was coming on. I went almost 2 whole days (driving one hour max on each day) without the light coming on and then it came on this morning immediately (quite cold outside at the time). The Audi garage took a look at it and said a) the brakes were absolutely fine, and b) there were signs of water ingress in the sensor plug but that they cleaned it out. However, the light has come on again just now on the school run.

Audi said it could be a problem with the loom which would cost ~£1000 to fix and wiring is not covered by warranty. I'm not sure if just changing the sensors might be a good start. Or has anyone else had a similar issue and what was the fix?
    The good news is that you don't need to replace either the brake pads or the brake discs. The bad news is that faulty wiring is not covered under the warranty what IMO is a pure nonsense. If I were you, however, I would try to insist that in the event of a defect, the wiring loom should be replaced under warranty. This is not a operational item which wears and the problem with this loom is either because it is installed incorrectly or because of a manufacturing defect.
    You can start with replacing the brake pad sensors. It is not a big cost and their exchange is not complicated. However, keep the replaced sensors because if it turns out that they are not the cause of the problem, they will be useful to you in the future.

0 0 0

9. Re: Front brakes warning light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    It's extended warranty and the paperwork clearly says wiring is excluded. Seems a little absurd, given what you said about it being fixed in place, but seems like this is quite a common issue on other audi models with this same loom and the answer has always been the same.

I'm ok to pay for it to be fixed but I don't want to unnecessarily replace all 4 looms without trying to identify which loom is at fault. Hopefully my indy mechanic will be able to do this. Being quite technical myself (but not a diyer when it comes to cars), and given the problem is intermittent so not easily identifiable, my thinking on how to approach this is:

1. Check the wear sensors all round for damage and / or signs of water in the connectors. Clean the connector on the looms and replace the sensors as needed.

2. If possible, isolate each loom at the control unit to try and find the offending one.

3. Maybe an insulation resistance test is possible on each loom to see if it shows which one is damaged.

Anything else which can be done?

If anyone has part numbers for the looms that would be useful too.

0 0 0