1. Occasionally Kangarooing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sometimes, completely at random (Often when pulling out of a roundabout, trying to be swift, for safety's sake) my car will jerk, judder and start/stop/start/stop while trying to pull away from a standstill. It's quite rare, but scary when it happens. (Also embarrassing, when I was once crawling slowly through a busy carpark to find a space, like I didn't know how to drive, or at least the car had forgotten how to!)

It so rarely happens that I can't diagnose it, my local independent garage didn't have a clue what it could be. It's only every couple of months.
    Not sure if it has to do with the torque converter, or if it's something like ABS or TCS kicking in when it doesn't need to.

Anyone have any ideas?
    I have VAGCOM if there's any way of looking for events (I'm not too experienced at using it)

Thanks

It's a 2007 A5 2.7 TDI Automatic

0 0 0

2. Re: Occasionally Kangarooing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    When was the CVT transmission last serviced?
    Audi A6 Avant BiTDi C7 SE 2014

John

(The Beemer is a bike)

0 0 0

3. Re: Occasionally Kangarooing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I asked the garage to service it - and they changed transmission oil , around this time last year - 120,000 miles in I thought that was fair enough, as it's likely the original oil!

But the problem is still there. Randomly, and quite terrifyingly, the car will, out of the blue, jerk, judder, and just jump forward a few inches at a time (usually when pulling out with haste on a roundabout etc, when you need to move quickly, and there may be another vehicle heading towards you.) Or embarrassingly while crawling slowly through carpark and people think you're driving a manual for the first time! The car even stalled on a roundabout recently (It's diesel, AUTOMATIC!!)

On a loose surface like gravel, you can sometimes feel that it's being hesitant, and be very very easy applying power, and get through it, but most of the time it's without warning. And it may be months between doing it, so hard to diagnose.

Yesterday I tried turning off ESP by holding the button. I was in a gravel carpark and I'm positive (but it's hard to know for sure) that I felt the behaviour change. It was smooth and the power didn't feel hesitant on the looser surface.

So I'm wondering now if it's a fault with the ESP. There aren't any errors on screen. It's due another service in a couple of weeks, so I'll ask them to scan for codes then also in case it is showing any problems.
    What sensors does the ESP rely on? Anything that would be easy to change, like ABS sensors etc?

0 0 0

4. Re: Occasionally Kangarooing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    To me the ESP is incorrectly reacting to a signal such as an ABS sensor/ring or the 3 axis accelerometer is sending out corrupt data.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Occasionally Kangarooing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - That's extremely helpful! I'll relay this to the garage when I take it for a service soon, and hope we get to the bottom of it!

0 0 0