Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Hmmmm, odd. Where did the new bottle come from, was it from TPS?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Intermittent "low coolant" warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Hmmmm, odd. Where did the new bottle come from, was it from TPS?
    No idea of their source, but the invoice quotes the audi number you referenced as the updated version ... perhaps I need to examine the item to check if it a genuine audi one ....

However .. a further "matter of interest" that serves to muddy the stgnant waters of my tiny brain ....

Tonight I did 2 x 35 mile journeys, with 2 hours between arriving at destination and departing. The car was well cold before we left as it had stood since 09.30 this morning.

On the way there I got 3 warnings in 10 miles . the first before the engine was even fully warm, about 1/2 way there on the gauge, each one went out within a minute, and all were "on the flat" as it were ..... I got no more warnings at all for the rest of the outbound trip.

Coming home the temp was down to about 1/3rd normal on startup and obviously got to normal temperature much faster. No warnings at all on the way home !!

So, could this problem be temperature related ?? no idea why that should be the case...

..... or has it taken a while for the "system" to recognise/recaibrate itself to the new bottle ?? Should a new bottle be "coded" to the car and if so, was it done or was it done wrongly ?

Or is it all coincidence and the intermittent problem still exists but just didn't happen so often??

Be interesting to see what happens on Saturday .. a return trip of just over 50 miles each way, again with about 2 hours between arriving and departing

Confused of North Wiltshire
    2014 Audi A6 Allroad (C7, 245bhp)

0 0 0

3. Re: Intermittent "low coolant" warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaV6 View Post
    Ah well .. drove it for the first time today.... warning came up twice in 60 miles .. out after less than a minute both times, and was on a level bit of road at the time. Level checked .. spot on the "max" mark when cold. Got to go out again tonight so wil see how it goes before taking it back to the garage ......doubt I'll get much support from them however .....
    Surely when cold it should be on the Min mark, rising to the Max mark when the engine is hot. Is the issue that the system is overfilled?

0 0 0

4. Re: Intermittent "low coolant" warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You don't get an overfilled warning, if it is way too much over max the cap will release the excess. The VAG protocol is to set the coolant at max when cold.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Intermittent "low coolant" warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    More and more confusing ..... tonight the warning occurred 5 seconds after starting (obviously very cold) ..left engine running and checked level .... a fraction below "MAX" ...wiggled wires going into plug... warning was out by the time I got back into the car... so about a minute ??? Did 48 miles with a 15 minute stop in the middle .. no further warnings at all .....

If it was a broken wire/bad connection at the tank plug would that give a warning ?? ie is the warning triggered by powered on (float low makes circuit) or by power off (float low breaks circuit) ???

Really confused of North Wiltshire now ....

0 0 0

6. Re: Intermittent "low coolant" warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Resurrecting this in the hope of some help .... Problem has slowly got worse, warning is now "on" more than it is "off" ... and the "off" is totally random ... might be 5 seconds or 5 minutes.. up hill or down, accelerating or braking .. who knows..... garage who did the work are saying its not the tank as that is new (and they refuse to consider a new one "might" be faulty) so it "must" be a wiring problem and won't give a price as "investigating wiring problems is an inexact time scale, might be a few minutes, might take hours"..... so basically want an open cheque !!

What I'd like to do is a little investigation of my own, for which I need a little bit of help... 4 questions really.. if anyone can answer them I would be extremely grateful..

1. How does the plug onto the expansion tank come off ?? (tried a straight pull and nothing happened)
    2. Two wires into the plug, what should be voltage across them when unplugged with the engine running
    3a. Two contacts in the tank socket, what should the resistance across them be when tank is full (light "should" be out), ....3b. resistance when tank is empty (light "should" be on)
    4. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the bits that include the tank sensor and other bits .. or do I need to subscribe to erWin to get one ??

With the above info I hope to use a meter to narrow down the possibilities... can't think of any other way to track down the fault ... unless someone knows better (highly likely!!)

Many thanks in advance

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12