1. Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First post so here goes: Just changed the front cat and both coolant stats. Got through the MOT ,but at 2500 engine was hunting /stuttering. Both stats had failed so engine wasn't getting up to temp. Had failed emission test on CO [0.64] on fast pass 2000-3000 rpm. so with a new cat and stats it passes but it now stutters when getting up to normal revs now.
    It's OK at idle and always starts. Using E5 super [£1.60 ouch!] now. Was alright before new stats and cat but was always running at below normal temp.
    Had the plugs out a while back and they were nearly white so I was running lean, but no fault codes and lamda seems to be behaving itself on elm 27 PCam software.
    Has anyone had a problem like this and solved it? Any ideas would be welcome before I start pulling all the sensors and hoses etc.

Don
    The Dancer
    Golf mk V 1.6 FSI 2004 [110K on the clock]

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    No engine warning light? When you were working on it did you turn the engine over by hand on the front pulley? Even though it started after the stats were fitted I would do a compression test and I suspect you software may be not seeing some none OBDII codes.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi, do you have access to VCDS, a full autoscan will help diagnosing this issue?

Where did you buy the thermostats from? Are they genuine VW parts or aftermarket?

Same goes for the front cat? (This the one with the flexi on it / Downpipe from exhaust manifold?).

Also what engine code you got? BAG, BLF?

When you say below normal temp are you referring to the temp gauge on the dashboard?

If you’re running lean maybe you have an air leak somewhere?

But first of all get an autoscan done then can go from there.

Could also be dirty throttle butterfly valve or maybe EGR is bad (there is a gear inside these that can shear off teeth and cause egr to remain open or closed depending where the teeth go on the gear - but this should at least produce a warning light on the dash).

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    It's a dogshit of an engine in my opinion, designed on fuel that's not available in the uk. Check long term and short term fuel trims. Pcv valves split inside, injectors were failing at 3 years old . It's on the list for not compatible with E10. Also check the cam bucket on the high pressure pump.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Forgot to mention the plugs the coils, the engine loom earths, ecu not unknown for fueling issues either. High pressure switch, fuel lift pumps go down as well.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks wilddudeuk and Crasher and flapperjack76 for your replies.

The engines a BLP with a 110K on the clock. I have the 99$ version of VCDS on a cheapo probe off 'you know where' which won't do a scan on on this ECU except for alarm codes and clearances. I will have to buy a better OBDII probe to get a later version of the VCDS.
    Temp on dash was showing low as was the ELM 327 PCMSCAN diagnostic software. It's OK now even though I've cheapo stats off 'you know where'fitted. I had fitted cheapo BM and European cats front and middle. I think The Applegreen petrol [ Ron 95] I was using was cr--p as it threw up a lean mixture from after sensor [from between middle cat and the silencer box] using E5 Ron 97-99 now . But I think it destroyed the cats as I just cancelled the alarm and carried on using the rubbish petrol until I discovered that the problem was the petrol not the engine or the emission control.
    I've put some Redex in the tank and will give that a run and see if it cleans anything out and let you know.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Aftermarket cats will burn out in minutes if the games that hit them contain too much unburnt fuel, motor factors get very strict about warranty claims as in most cases the cause of failure is upstream; I would rather fit a used genuine cat than a new pattern part.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Think i forgot evap valve on that list, and as already said egr gets gummed up when pcv goes down. Did I mention carbon, that builds up as well. VW dropped the ball around 2004 to 2011.

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Oh and the nox sensor that's a nice £450 part, or £200 second hand.

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf mk v 1.6 FSI 2004 Engine stutters when it gets to 2000 Plus Revs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    And like Crasher said no1 cat burns out falls into no2 cat that gets to hot burns out turns inside exhaust and you come to a stop.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast