1. Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Jotting this down for anyone else who wants to have a go - part 1 here, part 2 to follow. I am no DIY expert so this may be too basic for some.

My car is a 2016 Black Edition with Tech Pack and an MIB2 infotainment unit.

Unit ordered from Bavarian automotive on ebay, cost £160. You have to send a photo of your MMI screen before they despatch to check for compatability.

To prep, watch this video - he skips over some parts but it's a good overview.

Audi A6 A7 C7 CarPlay Installation Guide - YouTube

Then to get started you need to:

A - Remove the glovebox

1 - Pop off the passenger side cover for the fuse box using the small end of a teaspoon or something similar
    2 - Using an 8mm socket remove one bolt from the fuse box that holds the glove box on
    3 - Same 8mm socket, remove 3 bolts from the top front of the glove box cavity (do this with the lid open)
    4 - Same 8mm socket, remove 2 bolts from the bottom of the glove box (do this with the lid closed)
    5 - Bring the glovebox down and unclip the electrical connector from the back
    6 - Put the glovebox out of the way, it takes up the whole footwell

B - Remove the climate control unit

1 - put a cloth in front of the gear lever and on top of the tray so nothing gets scratched when you pull the units out.
    2 - arm your self with the trusty teaspoon and push it either side into the gap between the control panel and the centre console, then pop it out
    3 - use a small flat head screwdriver to ease out the red retaining clips on each of the 3 connectors.
    4 - use the same screwdriver to ease out all 3 connectors completely

C - Remove the infotainment unit

1 - in the gap left by the climate control unit there is another 8mm bolt - undo that and remove it.
    2 - ease the unit out a few cm and then feel around underneath at the front - there are two electrical connectors one at each side and both need disconnecting
    3 - pull the unit out as far as it will come, it is secured on the left with a cable tie so you have to pivot it with the right hand side out furthest
    4 - while you're here poke your hand in the cavity and feel around the back for where you can poke the wires through out the back and to the left for when you mount the box
    5 - unplug all the connections to the back of the unit one by one - some need a retaining clip easing out with a small flat head screwdriver

D - plug in the wiring harness that comes with the road top unit

**This is as far as I got as I realised the seller had sent the wrong cable - new one coming and I will try again soon.

I will try and post some pics on another post to show examples
    Now: 2016 C7 2.0TDi BE with Tech Pack, magic parking, ambient lighting
    Previous: 2013 C7 2.0 TDi S Line
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE
    and an ancient 80 in the olden days...

1 0 0

2. Re: Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

3. Re: Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Your car is a facelift model. CarPlay could have been unlocked with a software update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop187 View Post
    Your car is a facelift model. CarPlay could have been unlocked with a software update
    Yes I looked at that. Local dealers useless and eventually quoted £400. Or some random people offering to unlock it for £100 who were all miles away. This looked a better option plus I quite fancied having a tinker.
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

5. Re: Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Fair enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Ok, picking up where I left off now I have the correct cable.

D - plug in the wiring harness that comes with the road top unit

1 - Plug in the new harness
    2 - plug in the Y shaped LDVS cable with the fixed end in the head unit, one loose end into the original cable, one loose end into the RT box
    3 - plug all the other head unit wires back in place
    4 - plug in the plug that links the climate unit to the new harness
    5 - plug the other wires into the RT box as stated on the instructions

E Put the centre console stuff back together

Warning this is really fiddly

1 - feed the wires as far back and as low as they will go, with the two that go to the RT box going out the back left towards where the RT box will go
    2 - push the MIB unit back in, don't forget the two front MIB connectors before you push it all the way back in
    3 - screw the MIB fixing screw (underneath the unit) back in
    4 - reconnect the climate control connectors
    5 - push the climate unit back in and click it into place

F Make sure it works.

1 - Make sure the normal MIB works as it used to
    2 - You may only want to set up Car Play or Android Auto, I did both.
    3 - Set up the toggles on the back of the RT box according to the instructions
    4 - Press NAV for 3 seconds to switch the display from normal MIB 2 to RT box (press NAV once briefly to switch it back if you need to)
    5 - Go into the RT box menus and set up whichever option you want.
    6 - Phones can be picky on which cable you use. For Android you have to use a cable for setup, even if you then use wireless.
    7 - If you want sound to come from the RT box you have to select "AUX" on the MIB first. If you don't do that, the radio or whatever will carry on coming from the MIB and Carplay / Android Auto will operate silently.

G Mount the RT box and put the glovebox back on

1 - Up to you where you mount the box, I rested it on top of the glovebox. The wires aren't very long so you don't have many options.
    2 - You may need some of the wires out into the car - the wifi aerial and the USB socket are the two that I fed back along the side of the centre console. I didn't use the HDMI connection but you might want to.
    3 - Reconnect the glovebox electrical connector (brown) at the back
    4 - Screw the glovebox back into place

H Clear fault codes

1 - I used Carista (free 1 week trial of annual subscription) and a cheap ODB Bluetooth adaptor but anything similar should work
    2 - Clear any codes that are new, mine threw up loads where I disconnected things. I read somewhere that you can avoid this by disconnecting the battery before you start

I - Customise it

You can tweak which apps go where on the screen, what wallpaper to use and probably all sorts of other things I haven't found yet

That's it I think - good luck if you try it!
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

7. Re: Road Top Install Guide 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quick update after using it for a few months:

Wireless = very glitchy, gave up.

Wired = works really well most of the time, occasional glitches but overall not bad.

The main weird thing in the one I bought is that when in 3rd gear at over 30 mph it flicks back to the factory MMI screen, but it's fine in all other gears. I can live with it for half the price of the factory upgrade, but it's annoying. Still talking to the supplier to try and get it resolved. One software update so far has made no difference.
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0