Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Rear Wiper not working, how to check the stalk switch?

1. Rear Wiper not working, how to check the stalk switch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    My rear wiper wipe feature stopped working, everything else on the stalk works including front wipers and rear water spray, etc....

I checked for voltage at the wiper connector with the boot closed as I believe the rear wiper doesn;t work with the boot open. I had 4 wires, 1 brown and 3 white wires.
    None of the 4 wires had 12v when the stalk for the rear wiper motion was switched on.

How do I disconnect the stalk wire connector so I can check for continuity to from the stalk switch back to the wiper motor? Do I have to remove the steering wheel to get to the stalk connector?

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear Wiper not working, how to check the stalk switch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I see from YT videos to remove the wiper stalk, the airbag and steering wheel has to be removed and the electrical connector seems to be attached to the stalk, so looks like there is no way to check the wiring without removing the stalk?

Is the stalk likely to be faulty with only 1 feature (rear wipe) not working or is more likely to be the wiring at the hatch boot hinges, etc....

Can I apply power directly to the rear wiper motor to see if it works, if brown is the earth is it ok if i just randomly apply 12v to each of the 3 white wires to see if it operates?

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear Wiper not working, how to check the stalk switch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is no wiring as such at the stalk, the unit plugs directly into the steering column module and this sends a digital CAN BUS signal to the Body Control Module which operates just about everything on the car except the windows and locks. To test the stalk and steering column module you use a diagnostic system with measuring blocks to view the switch positions and also the motor can be tested in output tests. Golf 5 rear wiper motor failure is not a common problem, when they stop working it is usually broken wires in the conduit on the left between the body and tailgate.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear Wiper not working, how to check the stalk switch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Cheers Crashed, I'll check that bit of wiring at the left hinge first. Just need to find some time now

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear Wiper not working, how to check the stalk switch? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Spot on Crasher, only tackled this the weekend and there was 1 broken wire and 2 wires missing bits of their insulation. It was good only 1 wire was actually broken as the entire bunch of wires consisted of 1 brown and about 5 white wires and it would have been fun guessing which white wire went with which other white wire, etc lol . Was the passenger hinge as suggested. Appreciated as always, I owe you a pint at this stage!

1 1 0