1. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks guys - I am still awaiting my new Golf 8. Do you have any advice relating to getting value for money insurance? I currently use directline on another vehicle where I am a second driver. Will they transfer the no-claims discount?

I am also looking for tips to maintain the car in the best condition and make it last a long time? I know of many Golfs exceeding 100k miles.

In terms of the servicing plan - are there things I can do to DIY maintain - like topping up the oil? I gather the servicing plan doesn't include tyres? is it worth getting them done elsewhere?

0 0 0

2. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    If you stick with DirectLinethey may take your driving record as second driver on another DL policy and give you some NCD credit. I know Admiral do this. Regarding looking after, keep it clean and give it a good body protection regime look on a detailing website abut the best products to use. You can top up the oil if the car tells you it needs additional oil, but you may find it does not need any between services. You are right the service plan does not inlude tyres, or things like brake fluid changes at 3 years. For tyres, you may find the dealer is price competitive otherwise go elsewhere.

0 0 0

3. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Than you very much. One more thing - I ordered around 7 weeks ago - a 1.5 life, nothing special really. The dealer was very reluctant to take the order in the first place. A few dealers even point blank refused on the phone when I said a new golf. Is this due to the chip shortage? When you buy other things e.g. houses or even financial products, companies are "dying" to take your custom. Why is this not the case with a circa 25K product? Do the salespeople get any commission per vehicle?

Also my dealer is not giving me any updates so far. The only thing I know is the expected handover is at the End of March. I ideally need it as soon as possible as another car is "on its last legs". I dont want to cancel as I wont get the airbags on stock vehicles. Is it worth asking vw direct? or just be patient?

0 0 0

4. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf8Lover View Post
    Than you very much. One more thing - I ordered around 7 weeks ago - a 1.5 life, nothing special really. The dealer was very reluctant to take the order in the first place. A few dealers even point blank refused on the phone when I said a new golf. Is this due to the chip shortage? When you buy other things e.g. houses or even financial products, companies are "dying" to take your custom. Why is this not the case with a circa 25K product? Do the salespeople get any commission per vehicle?

Also my dealer is not giving me any updates so far. The only thing I know is the expected handover is at the End of March. I ideally need it as soon as possible as another car is "on its last legs". I dont want to cancel as I wont get the airbags on stock vehicles. Is it worth asking vw direct? or just be patient?
    Almost certainly down to the chip shortage and dealers having already already sold all their current allocation of build slots for the next period. The new car market is currently very supply constrained, hence the value of second hand cars is high and in some cases higher than the list price of the same car new. Salespeople are paid commission but even that is dictated by the customer satisfaction rating given by the customer (5* rating or no commission). Very unlikely that you will get any success speaking to VW directly as you are the dealers customer not theirs. You will just have to hope that the build date gets pulled forward

0 0 0

5. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Supply is a massive problem, as are lead times. But its not just vw, its all over.

0 0 0

6. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I ordered 4 weeks ago, and the dealer was happy to take the order, and in fact I received an order number a couple of hour after, but even though my order has gone in it has not yet been accepted by VW. So that means I do not have any visibility to a build week or possibly handover. I was told, and on the paperwork, it says end of May for delivery, but I'm expecting it to be much later than that, thankfully I'm not in a rush so can afford to wait.

If you are just ordering a standard car, I would phone around and ask dealers what they have coming in over the next couple of months, some stock order cars are being built and delivered to dealers.
    VW Passat Estate 2.0TDi 150 SE Business

0 1 0

7. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gjmartin View Post
    I ordered 4 weeks ago, and the dealer was happy to take the order, and in fact I received an order number a couple of hour after, but even though my order has gone in it has not yet been accepted by VW. So that means I do not have any visibility to a build week or possibly handover. I was told, and on the paperwork, it says end of May for delivery, but I'm expecting it to be much later than that, thankfully I'm not in a rush so can afford to wait.

If you are just ordering a standard car, I would phone around and ask dealers what they have coming in over the next couple of months, some stock order cars are being built and delivered to dealers.

I am still awaiting any further information for the car order. I assume things have dramatically slowed down with COVID and the Christmas break. When I receive my factory order is it worth going for a HPI or AA car check? would a dealer be opposed to this?

0 0 0

8. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    On a new car???

0 0 0

9. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have been given a build date at the end of the month. Roughly when might this car arrive at the dealer?

I am also thinking ahead to things for the collection day:

Checklist: Everything you need to do when you buy a car | Driving Seat (jardinemotors.co.uk)

The ultimate car collection checklist before driving your new car from the showroom (jthughes.co.uk)

The dealer is supposed to do the PDI, road tax and there is some complementary VW insurance (i think first 30 days). Is it worth getting my insurance before collection - i.e . once the dealer receives the vehicle and knows the registration?

On the day I will of course look around the car and also take it for a test drive before paying. I will also ask for the fuel and the oil to be topped up. Oh and also I will pay for the service plan.

I will request any car manuals/documents. I have a Golf mk4. Any new features I should ask to be demonstrated before driving off - Sat Nav, central locking etc.

I will do a bank transfer - is that how you guys paid? A faster payment could take 2hours to clear I have been told.

Any other advice. My dealer is around 1 hrs drive from me - and I am looking not to go back too often for any problems.!

Are there any known teething issues or faults which are common with new cars? Any product recalls with MK7.5s?

0 0 0

10. Re: ordering new golf 8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf8Lover View Post
    I have been given a build date at the end of the month. Roughly when might this car arrive at the dealer?

I am also thinking ahead to things for the collection day:

Checklist: Everything you need to do when you buy a car | Driving Seat (jardinemotors.co.uk)

The ultimate car collection checklist before driving your new car from the showroom (jthughes.co.uk)

The dealer is supposed to do the PDI, road tax and there is some complementary VW insurance (i think first 30 days). Is it worth getting my insurance before collection - i.e . once the dealer receives the vehicle and knows the registration?

On the day I will of course look around the car and also take it for a test drive before paying. I will also ask for the fuel and the oil to be topped up. Oh and also I will pay for the service plan.

I will request any car manuals/documents. I have a Golf mk4. Any new features I should ask to be demonstrated before driving off - Sat Nav, central locking etc.

I will do a bank transfer - is that how you guys paid? A faster payment could take 2hours to clear I have been told.

Any other advice. My dealer is around 1 hrs drive from me - and I am looking not to go back too often for any problems.!

Are there any known teething issues or faults which are common with new cars? Any product recalls with MK7.5s?
    Usually there is anything up to a 14 day period for the car to get from the factory to the port and then a further 14 day period for the car to get from the port of arrival in the UK to the dealer, so you are looking at anything up to a month, so you can assume early March which will alo give you the registration number (22).

VW only gives you 5 days insurance for free. I use this as it tends to make it easier for the dealer to tax the car and then I get my own insurance sorted once I get home as it is not really a sensible alternative to a standard policy. All my cars have been on PCP but I would expect the delaer will almost certainly expect you to pay for the car before you collect it, so they can tax it etc, andf I doubt they will let you go for a test drive before paying. VW delivery charge only covers a half tank of fuel so you will be fortunate if you get a full tank. The il should have been checked as part of the PDI process.

The dealer should take you through all the features of the car although in these Covic times that may not be possible (wasn't when I picked up our Golf in June 2020) but in reality I oftnefind the dealers do not acytually know how many of the features work. As a minimum you should get them to make sure your phone is paired with the car and that you are logged in to MyVolkswagen both in the app and the car and set up with you as the car owner. If you are buying the service plan make sure the car is set up for fixed rather than variable service intervals, easy to check as the next oil change should be give or take a couple of days 12 months from day of collection. The plan is not applicable to cars on variable service intervals

Other than the many software issues I am not aware of any signigficant faults or recalls (I assume your recall question relates to the Mk8 not 7.5). Your car should have the latest software but be aware that going forward some software updates will requore a trip to the dealer and are not done over the air. Ypou should check the tyre pressures as dealers often set them wrong or fail to reduce them from the very high pressures they are set for transit from the factory.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast