Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello

I have Passat 2002 130 BHP TDI, AWX engine.
    All of sudden in a super market car park, my windows were not rolling up, could not lock the car using the key. It was all fine when i had driven up to supermarket, unlocked using car key, windows rolled down using driver side controls.
    I tried to diagnose it to get the code, however get a message cannot reach convenience module controller, so cannot find any fault code.
    Any clues on what to check?

Regards.
    Mangesh

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Sounds like CCM in front passenger footwell .

Have you addressed any of the multiple ingress sites ?

0 1 0

3. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes Gazwould.
    The CCM was dried out, rubber grommet under battery and servo removed. All this was about 5-6 years ago.

Yesterday i again checked fuse 38, no issues with that.
    I continuously pulled up the windows control button and with lot of pulling slowly the windows rolled up, but it was like 1 cm movement after about 10 times pulling.
    Does that mean not enough power to window regulator?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Sounds like CCM in front passenger footwell .

Have you addressed any of the multiple ingress sites ?

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If it was after it had rained heavily then it could be one of the other known leaks. Lift the carpet and check for water. I assume you know how having done it 5-6 years ago.

If wet it could be water getting in through the pollen filter holder seal or a crack in the trim at the bottom of the windscreen. Can also come in at the bottom of the doors due to the bottom of the window seals rusting/ageing and the seal around the carrier for the window regulator not being renewed when opened for access.

If dry then check where there are multiple wires connected together in the wiring loom to the CCM. These have heatshrink over them to keep out moisture but if it gets in it'll stay there and then corrode the joint causing all sorts of problems.

0 1 0

5. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The multiple red/black welded connection in the harness near the convenience unit will be rotten and falling to bits

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

6. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Ianhayter.
    I checked under the carpet, its moist but not water logged. CCM is dry and no sign of any rust on PCB.
    Is it normal to see moistness under the carpet?

Quote Originally Posted by ianhayter View Post
    If it was after it had rained heavily then it could be one of the other known leaks. Lift the carpet and check for water. I assume you know how having done it 5-6 years ago.

If wet it could be water getting in through the pollen filter holder seal or a crack in the trim at the bottom of the windscreen. Can also come in at the bottom of the doors due to the bottom of the window seals rusting/ageing and the seal around the carrier for the window regulator not being renewed when opened for access.

If dry then check where there are multiple wires connected together in the wiring loom to the CCM. These have heatshrink over them to keep out moisture but if it gets in it'll stay there and then corrode the joint causing all sorts of problems.

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher, i see moistness over the wirelooms and do see some liittle bit of corrossion. Will examine further and try to solder again.
    Since windows , wing mirrors, central locking & boot not opening, all stopped working while parked bit lost as to how come all of sudden they stopped working.
    Could it be due to corrossion or something else? I checked fuse 38, is there any other fuse to check?

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The multiple red/black welded connection in the harness near the convenience unit will be rotten and falling to bits

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    NO, it's not normal, it should be totally dry.
    You have water getting in again, either by one of the routes I've mentioned or (I believe, but have never had a B5 with one) sunroof drains blocked.
    As Crasher has said check the "welded joints" in the loom where multiple wires connect together, they are a weak point that can cause the issues you mention once water gets in. Also, check the multipin connectors going into the CCM for corrosion on the pins.

0 1 0

9. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I can’t remember or check as I am off work. Soldering will probably be useless as the wires are likely to be corroded and may need significant cutting back to find shiny copper. Soldering even perfectly clean unoxidised copper will eventually fail, car manufacturers (even military and aerospace manufacturers) hardly ever use solder for wiring, crimping is better and the norm. In the case of this junction it is actually spot welded during manufacturer but that is something difficult to reproduce in the aftermarket so we use crimp connectors with a heat melt sealing infill and we use heat shrink over the top, you can see two junctions repaired like this to the right. On the subject of the spot welded wiring junctions, we have been going through a spate of alternator issues (particularly on the T6) where the LIN BUS comms wire from the computer in the £400 alternator (no, I am not joking) loses connection with the battery monitoring computer in the £140 vehicle intelligent battery earth lead (again, no joke) due to a corroded welded connection the alternator harness for vehicle option specific connections. When this fails the alternator is supposed to resort to 13.5v but the computer has failed so it sends circa 18v into the system which fries the £500 body control computer. The resultant bill is distressing for the customer and distressingly difficult for a mechanic to put into understandable terms for the shocked said customer, sort of “ohh a broken wire fubared three expensive parts” and in one case a complicated to replace part. The complex part is the BCM, replacing these is traumatic on VAG products, you install a new one and transfer the coding from the old to the new but this unit then takes it upon itself to recode and then block many of the cars CAN BUS connected components; for example the ABS which is misconfigured for left hand drive (which makes the car pull violently left) but then to add insult to injury, then locks itself and is impossible to recode without the dealer system ODIS.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat 2002 : Comfort control module controller not reachable 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I managed to solder the wire . It was the 12V supply wire which I had soldered 5-6 years ago and broke again. Probably this is why Crasher does not prefer soldering. So now windows, central locking using key fob, boot lock working as before. So many thanks Ianhayter, Gazwould and Crasher for helping me to locate the issue. I still need to figure out from where the water is leaking. It maybe my pollen filter housing seal has worn off.

In the meantime o
    ne of my friend suggested to buy used CCM and see if that sorts out the issue so went ahead and bought it. As it was the 12 V supply line that was broken, it did not work, quite obvious now. My interior lights were not working at all for all last 5-6 years and I was okay with it. Since I now had the spare CCM, I tried this unit and all lights started working but not anything else like windows, central locking, boot lock. On my original CCM I checked the continuity of 23 pin and 15 pin plug for each of the pins using multimeter. I can see continuity so I think my PCB is not working. Does that mean that if I need the light to work, I need to do coding on the spare CCM? If yes, generally how much does it costs?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast