1. Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have just ordered a replacement MAP sensor and then discovered that some sellers state that "the sensor must be mapped in before fitting or else will throw a fault code". Is this correct and if so, how is this done?
    1997 Audi A4 1.9TDI (110, AFN) Auto saloon in Ming blue. Now sold.

0 0 0

2. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    No, plug and play BUT on your car the boost pressure sensor is inside the ECU.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Are you sure about the boost pressure sensor location? Is there a pneumatic link between manifold and ECU?
    If I try a search on boost pressure sensor, I am just shown the MAP sensor I have ordered, which also has an integrated temperature sensor.
    Perhaps you mean that the boost pressure is deduced in the ECU from the MAP sensor measurements?

0 0 0

4. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Up until VIN wauzzz8DzW(A or N)007799 the sensor in the boost pipe was a two wire clip in temperature sensor 028 906 081 after this a four wire screwed down combined pressure/temperature sensor 038 906 051 and the boost pressure sensor is inside the ECU which is fed by a plastic pipe from a port on the inlet manifold. The ECU with the built in sensor is part number 028 906 021 JC and with the separate sensor 038 906 018 S
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, Crasher.

My VIN is WAZZZ8DZVA045657, so perhaps I have ordered the wrong part?

You are probably right about the pipe to the ECU. I tried to inspect the area around the MAP sensor, but access is difficult at the rear of the engine. However, I can see two pipes in that area which seem to head in the ECU direction.

Maybe I don't need a new sensor. I used VAG-COM today to check for fault codes and none came up.
    I was also able to check MAF and MAP readings up to 2000 RPM and they seemed plausible, but with the car stationary.

The only suspect readings were for "Idle speed smooth running adjustments" which I assume relate to fuel and these were as follows:

Cyl 1: 0.75 mg/str
    Cyl 2: 0.28 " "
    Cyl 3: 0.14 " "
    Cyl 4: BLANK (ie nothing shown, not even zero)

These readings were constantly changing, apart from Cyl 4, which stayed blank.

The acceptable range for all cylinders was shown as -2 to +2.

It looks as if Cyl 4 wasn't getting any fuel, although the engine was running smoothly, so perhaps a measurement error somewhere?

0 0 0

6. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You mean WAUZZZ8DZVA045657, built at Ingolstadt on 20-09-96, this should have the MAP sensor in the ECU and temperature sensor in the boost pipe.

The zero reading puzzles me, which group number was that in? Anything above or even close to +/-1 is too much no matter what the data block shows but I can’t access my old printed manual for the AFN as it is on the shelf above my head at work and I am off for a few weeks, I will consult with my friend Greg, his blood is Diesel moved around by a verticular einspritz pumpe where mine is petrol by indirect injection…

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, Crasher. You obviously know a lot about these cars! You are correct about the VIN, which I miss-typed.
    I took delivery of the car on 31-10-96. I remember the date very well, as that same evening, the car was trashed on my drive by Halloween tricksters using rotten eggs.

I didn't make a note of the group number, as I was just scrolling through looking for anything that seemed suspect. The +/- 2 limit was as stated in the VAGCOM software. I will try repeating the test to see if anything has changed.

0 0 0

8. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Did another VAGCOM diagnostic today and checked Idle speed running adjustments again, with similar results as before, except some figures closer to zero and sometimes Cyl 2 going negative (-0.14). The measurements were in Group 13. Cyl 4 still blank.

I have a software version of the Service Manual, which I should have checked before ordering the replacement MAP sensor and this confirms what you said about the sensor being located in the ECU. In any event I don't think this sensor is the problem as MAP readings look OK.

The engine idles and accelerates smoothly and only smokes when I put my foot down. MAF readings seem OK, so I don't think the air filter is the problem. Perhaps just a build up of soot in the exhaust. The car has only been used for very short journeys over the past 12 months. Also, I have only used premium fuel.

0 0 0

9. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    My mechanic at work had a quattro Avant of the same car and it smoked badly but it was just general wear, low compression, weak boost, worn pump and worn injectors, it was just past fixing. We had to scrap our immaculate and mechanically perfect 97 A4 1.8 20v estate loan car as we could not get an air bag crash sensor. The original buyer had specified side air bags and the sensor is a two year only obsolete part not commonly fitted so used proved impossible. Audi Tradition had one for €500 but will not sell to the UK because of Brexit.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Fitting a new MAP sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    My Audi has only done 150K miles. These diesels should be good for at least 500K miles. My car is also immaculate, inside and out and in my opinion too good to scrap. I used to get rid of cars once rust had taken hold, but as Audis are galvanised, this shouldn't happen. However, if the car continues to fail the MOT emissions test, it will have to be scrapped - or maybe shipped to South Africa where they don't test for emissions (so I'm told).

So if Audi can't sell to the UK because of Brexit, they are going to lose a large part of their market to the competition.

I poured 3 cans of Cataclean into my 3/4 filled fuel tank today and drove the car about 15 miles at the highest speeds legally permitted (and was still overtaken by many other vehicles going much faster - so obviously no fuel supply problems in these parts).
    This did seem to result in a noticeable improvement in smoke output, so I will repeat the exercise a few more times before my MOT next week.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast