Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys!

Have a -89 Mk2 with leaning oil sump pan gasket. Thought I'd have it a go replacing it myself on the parking lot with raised front. Will it be easily doable? Anything in particular to have in consideration while on the task?

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil pan gasket replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Which engine size?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

3. Re: Oil pan gasket replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Which engine size?
    Thanks for a Uber-quick response, I never thought I'd get one since this sub-forum seems kind of abandoned, heh.

Anyways, yeah, I should have mentioned it on my original post, it's the 1.8l "RP" engine with manual transmission.

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil pan gasket replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I am a Golf 2 fanatic. All you need is a one reach 1/4” drive extension bar and ratchet plus a short read check socket, the extension bar need to have a “wobbly end” as to remove the two screws into the flywheel oil seal holder you do not get a direct path and have to work offset. This shouldn’t cause you any problem in removal but take great care putting them back in as it is easy to cross thread into the alluvium seal holder and that is box out and clutch off. It seems to be almost impossible to get a perfect leak free seal and I have tied all sorts, Golf 3 rubber metal, sealant on composite and rubber gases and dry, all seem to weep. The best results I have had are with the “windage” tray plate design which is rubber/metal and assembled spotlessly dry, possibly the design is more stable? This is a 2 litre conversion to a DX block into an 84 Scirocco we built just before lockdown and is coming back from paint soon.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0