Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Leaky windscreen but from where???

1. Leaky windscreen but from where??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My B5.5 has now sprung a different type of leak! I've dealt with foot wells full of water and found how to solve that but struggling with this one!
    It's been raining a while and now the headliner has started to get wet. Only at the front and down the front windscreen pillars, both sides but worse on drivers.
    This happened last year and I sealed along the top of screen with silicone and thought I'd solved it! Might just have been that we hadn't had much rain!
    No sunroof in car so it isn't that, plenty about leaky sunroofs!
    Any help advice greatly received. This car is no looker now so if I've got to fill it with half a tube of silicone then so be it! The wing is held together with gaffer tape as VW only changed the passenger side under warranty! 😂
    Does the windscreen seal breakdown after 17years? 🤷🏻

0 0 0

2. Re: Leaky windscreen but from where??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I have seen the frame rot through along the top, the only way to find out is to remove the screen and the damage is usually horrific
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Leaky windscreen but from where??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for reply Crasher, you helped me out with advice when I made a warranty claim for the wing.
    I've seen where these go at the top of the A pillar but there are no tell tale signs like bubbling like I've seen on others. I was hoping to get another year out of her, only now coming up to 200k 😂
    Do you think I'd be able to see if I removed the A pillar cover? Not had any experience doing this (yet)

0 0 0

4. Re: Leaky windscreen but from where??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    We normally start with one person in the car and other outside with the pressure washer and the latter stops spraying when the former starts waving
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Leaky windscreen but from where??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Update. I lowered the headliner on the driver's side. With this down I could see that water seems to be coming in at top of windscreen. On closer inspection my bodge job of silicone was exactly that a bodge and it has started to come away. Actual roof appears to be solid and not showing any signs of rot (from inside at least) I've got to have a chip repaired before MOT so will see what Autoglass say when they come out but definitely appears to be windscreen seal!

0 0 0