Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi
    Just bought this little car a couple of weeks ago.
    A few issues have been fixed, but one remains.
    I've replace the camshaft position sensor as was having the P341 code ping every time I cleared it.
    The car takes 4/5 cranks to get started. MPG is very good. Torsion value, using VCDS, is at 0.0 degrees KW
    So, timing looks ok.
    Voltage on the connector to the ECU , pins 1, 2, and 3 show a low voltage on all of them.
    I'm therefore thinking there is a wiring loom problem.
    I think the ground, live and signal go to the sockets on the ecu at pins 1/2, 101 and 109.
    I'm going to check them next weekend, but .....I'm not sure as I don't have a wiring diagram.
    I've checked the threads and there is no reference to them.
    Can anybody help?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    16725 (P0341)- Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal

This indicates that the sensor is sending a signal to the ECU but it is out of sync with the crank, if it was wiring it would be open/short circuit instead of implausible signal.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for replying Crasher.

Looks like I'll have to trial and error the timing then, somewhere between -2.0 and +2.0......
    That's my day off sorted!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Have you pinned and locked it to check the valve timing, I have seen 0 Torsion before when the timing was out?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So, a number of problems I fixed with my Polo

New thermostat as the other one was missing. Still takes time to get up to normal temp, but stays once there.
    Previous owner took out the thermostat so probably prevented the dpf re-gen from working properly and perhaps the catalytic converter?
    New expansion bottle as the old one looked as if it had some sort of added fluid that made it go dark brown (head gaskett sealer?)
    The driver side drive shaft was only held on by 1 bolt causing a fluid leak (engine oil or gear oil....not sure yet so will check next weekend). Powered steering now working properly (i thought it a bit heavy but was quietly pleased for it to be fixed).
    Only cost £700 off an online auction site and the fixes have come in at roughly £195 (new rear brakes and pads), couple of new tyres

Now looking for the position of the crankshaft sensor....I think it's behind the starter motor but I'm not sure, as it still won't start first time. Takes about 5/6 turn overs.

Anyone know where the crankshaft sensor is?

0 0 0

6. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Happy New year if you're reading this !

My Polo finally gave up the ghost just before Christmas.

On my way to work I had to turn around as there were strange noises from the engine.
    Sounded like tappets from the top of the engine, maybe underneath the rocker cover.
    Anyway, I decided over the holiday to change the cambelt as the engine kept giving the same fault code, camshaft position sensor P341.

I bought some locking bolts for the crankshaft and camshaft.

After taking off the negine mount, alternator pulley, timing belt covers, I tried to put the locking bolts in place.

The crankshaft (bottom) bolt went in fine but the one at the top wouldn't go in.
    I also noticed the belt tensioner pointer wasn't where it was supposed to be indicating the tension in the belt wasn't enough.

Anyway, I rotated the engine to TDC (not sure which cylinder was at TDC), put the locking bolt in (crankshaft only), and took off the timing belt.
    I then rotated the camshaft a bit until I was able to put in the locking bolt.
    I ensured the three bolts on the camshaft pulley were centred so the timing was neither advanced or retarded.

I then replaced the timing belt, pulley's etc., ensured the tension was correct and then manually rotated the engine a few times to make sure I could keep putting in both locking bolts.

After putting everything back on, the car turned over but wouldn't fire.
    I had cleared the codes but the P341 came back.

Should I have put cylinder 1 to TDC?, or does it matter if cylinder 2 or 3 were at TDC?

I don't know how you can tell which cylinder is at TDC.

Thanks for looking

0 0 0

7. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Happy New year if you're reading this !

My Polo finally gave up the ghost just before Christmas.

On my way to work I had to turn around as there were strange noises from the engine.
    Sounded like tappets from the top of the engine, maybe underneath the rocker cover.
    Anyway, I decided over the holiday to change the cambelt as the engine kept giving the same fault code, camshaft position sensor P341.

I bought some locking bolts for the crankshaft and camshaft.

After taking off the engine mount, alternator pulley, timing belt covers, I tried to put the locking bolts in place.

The crankshaft (bottom) bolt went in fine but the one at the top wouldn't go in.
    I also noticed the belt tensioner pointer wasn't where it was supposed to be indicating the tension in the belt wasn't enough.

Anyway, I rotated the engine to TDC (not sure which cylinder was at TDC), put the locking bolt in (crankshaft only), and took off the timing belt.
    I then rotated the camshaft a bit until I was able to put in the locking bolt.
    I ensured the three bolts on the camshaft pulley were centred so the timing was neither advanced or retarded.

I then replaced the timing belt, pulley's etc., ensured the tension was correct and then manually rotated the engine a few times to make sure I could keep putting in both locking bolts.

After putting everything back on, the car turned over but wouldn't fire.
    I had cleared the codes but the P341 came back.

Should I have put cylinder 1 to TDC?, or does it matter if cylinder 2 or 3 were at TDC?

I don't know how you can tell which cylinder is at TDC.

Thanks for looking

0 0 0

8. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Can you post up engine code

0 0 0

9. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello, thanks for replying quickly.

The engine code is BMS

I will take off the rocker cover tomorrow so hopefully will be able to see when cylinder 1 gets TDC...

0 0 0

10. Re: Polo 1.4 TDi Bluemotion Camshaft position sensor wiring diagram 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    OK
    Took the rocker cover off.

Two photos at, which I think, is TDC.
    The camshaft locking tool is in place...

The right hand injection arm is almost fully down (I think this is cylinder 3...?)

Polo 1.4 Tdi Bluemotion BMS 01.jpg

Maybe in fact, the right hand cylinder is in fact cylinder 1...?

I thought cylinder 1 was the furthest from the flywheel...?

I put the tippex on the camshaft cog

Polo 1.4 Tdi Bluemotion BMS 02.jpg

I tried retarding the timing incrementally as well as advancing the timing incrementally by loosening the three bolts on the camshaft cog wheel...took almost an hour but no change.
    At each step I cleared the only code that kept coming up...P0341.
    I replaced the camshaft sensor recently but it didn't make any difference.
    The engine still didn't fire up.
    The battery was fully charged.

I'm thinking perhaps the camshaft may be 180 degrees out of synch (120 or even 240 degrees out as it's only got 3 cylinders).

I might just write this car off and use it for a long term project.
    It would be nice to get it sorted if anyone could throw some ideas my way.
    I was going to drive it to a local garage after work one day but ended up turning around and going home when the noises from the engine became louder.
    It's sat on my drive since then with no way to get it to a garage (unless I have a towbar fitted etc..)

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by maddogphysics; 13-01-2023 at 10:55 PM.

0 0 0