I have an A4 TDI 2.0 177 Quattro. The car has had a clicking for the past 3 months or so, quiet at first then started to get louder. When I finally got around to getting under the car, I discovered split outer nearside CV boot.
Bought a replacement boot kit and after e hours of hammering got the joint apart.
No obvious signs of wear and no play in the joint, so replaced the boot and all back together, but on first test drive the noise is still there, though not as bad as before.

It's mostly noticeable when accelerating and going straight. The noise doesn't sound any different when turning and there are not vibrations or obvious signs of play in the steering.

I have a couple of thoughts and was after some advice-

1- the CV joint is simply worn and needs replacing

2- one thing I noticed is that with the driveshaft being hollow, I lost a bit of grease that had come from the inner CV through the shaft. On the bench you can pump the inner and hear a gurgling sound.
Is there a chance that the inner is low on grease, in which case I was thinking I could take the hub bolt out and pump some grease down the driveshaft into the inner CV.

Any suggestions? Thanks