Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Folks,
    My audi had been showing the ESP light on the dash and when checked by my mechanic it turned out to be a faulty steering angle sensor. He tried to recalibrate it but was not getting any reading on his VCDS for the steering angle sensor.
    So I have now replaced the "faulty" sensor with one that is supposedly working but we are getting the same response where when we turn the steering wheel we are getting no readings in the box at all .
    I have read somewhere that the squibs are only compatible with certain sensors.My steering angle sensor part number is 1K0 959 654 and the squib part number is 1k0 959 653.
    Could someone possibly tell me if these are compatible, the reason being that it looks like the squib has already been changed as there are paint markings on it and I am wondering if the reason my mechanic cant recalibrate it is down to the two parts not being compatible.
    Apologies for the long ramble and many thanks in advance for repyling.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    The return ring used depends on the steering column controller fitted, 653 is only suitable for two door cars up to very early 2005 build with controllers 1K0 953 549, A and 8K0 959 549 and G. The change point by VIN is vague and you must go by the controller fitted. The coding procedure also varies by build date and in a number of cases on PQ35 platform vehicles, I have not be able to get even a brand new sensor to calibrate with VCDS and have had to use ODIS.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The return ring used depends on the steering column controller fitted, 653 is only suitable for two door cars up to very early 2005 build with controllers 1K0 953 549, A and 8K0 959 549 and G. The change point by VIN is vague and you must go by the controller fitted. The coding procedure also varies by build date and in a number of cases on PQ35 platform vehicles, I have not be able to get even a brand new sensor to calibrate with VCDS and have had to use ODIS.
    Thank you Crasher. My audi is a 5 door 1.6fs.My squib number is 1k0 959 653 and the controller number(I presume the board below it) is 1k0 953 549. Are you suggesting that someone may have fitted the wrong parts and if so how do I find the correct part numbers for it.

Many thanks for your reply

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    It looks like you have the right numbers but I have given up on second hand electronics, if I could instantly claw back the money used parts have cost me over the last 40 years, I could retire. Mind you, even new ones can drive you mad; last week we fitted a brand new Body Control Module to a 2018 T6 and coded it is using VCDS with the originals coding value, this sent the entire cars electrics into a spasm which recoded EVERY CAN BUS connected controller on the car to the wrong value and locked them! I had to spend an hour and a half on ODIS using Software Version Management to work through all the controllers (some even needed software updates) to get them back and set up the BCM which then refused to work the central locking. Digging deeper, it had been sent from VW in new car transport mode so it was locked... but there is no warning.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Managed to speak to a helpful chap at the local audi dealership and he reckons the part numbers for the car are different to those in it at present. He reckons the squib part number is 1k0 959 653 D as opposed to the 1k0 959 653 in the car now and the control module should be 8p0 953 549 F as opposed to 1k0 953 549 AH which is on the car now.
    I located the parts so lets hope it works.Keep you updated and thaanks again for youe input .

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    quick update, replacement squib and controller in and still no readings on vcds!!!!! Help anyone as this is doing my head in.Have checked all fittments ,pins are all good ,everything sits as it should and still no joy>

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    It may need to go on ODIS for some online checking of the coding values and software. The parts you fitted were new genuine? PM me your reg.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My reg number is SM56 DND.The parts are used but genuine to the best of my knowledge as I bought them from a local VW/Audi breaker and he took the parts off in front of me from a complete audi steering column.

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    As I have indicated, used electronics parts are a mugs game, I just won't do it anymore. According to ETKA FI Suggestion the slip ring should be 1K0 959 653 D and this number is still current. The current number for the controller is 8P0 953 549 F and this replaces 1K0 953 549 AH, 1K0 953 549 AE and 1K0 953 549 AF.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi A3 1.6Fsi 2006 steering angle sensor fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I don't know whether you have tried this but I had the same problem with the steering wheel angle sensor light when it came on and a local lad showed me what to do. This only works if the sensor light is amber if its red then its a deeper problem. With the ignition lights on turn the steering wheel hard to the left and hold for 10 seconds, then turn it to the right and hold for ten seconds then return to dead centre. After this the light went out. I don't know if this is the same problem your having.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast