Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hi

I took my Mar 2018 E-Tron to France three weeks ago, with my wife and our dog. It has only done 26k miles, with probably 50% of that on electric.

We drove out of Eurotunnel in Calais, onto the A16 and accelerated up to 130kph. There was a bang and no power. I managed to drift onto the hard shoulder. No electric drive either. The Console said system failure - call workshop!!

Fortunately, I had taken out all component cover on an Audi extended warranty and renewed the Audi breakdown cover for £99.

I had to phone French emergency services on 122 as the AA (Audi's agent) could not help, until the car was off the motorway. Within 30 minutes, a breakdown truck arrived and the car was dragged onto the flat bed. The very friendly driver took us back to his depot in Calais.

At first the AA insisted that I had not renewed the breakdown cover, which I had done over the phone, before the free three cover expired. Fortunately, I had the letter confirming renewal with me, which I had to photograph and email to euroops@theaa.com.

After 5 hours and several calls to the Lyon operations centre, they arranged for a taxi to pick us up and take us to Avis. Apparently they had been trying to find an Audi garage near Calais (Dunkirk, Boulogne and one other). All were closed for August holidays.

Initially, we were told we could only have the car for two days to take us to our destination in SW France. We were only intending to be over for 6 days and they agreed that we could keep the car for the whole period and return it to Calais. We were given a manual Jeep Renegade , not the car I was intending to do the 2000km round trip in.

Later we were advised to extend our trip, so that they could get a UK hire car to Calais for us to return home. French hire cars cannot be taken into UK. We added two days and returned to Calais on the Sunday. Special arrangements were made for us to swap the Jeep at the AA depot, where an Enterprise Cars Vauxhall Crossland X was waiting for us, another manual.

We had to rebook Eurotunnel, (you can change registration number when you arrive at check-in) arrange a VET visit and have covid tests, when we received confirmation, that a UK car was available in Calais. A bit of a logistical nightmare.

Again, I was told that we could only have the Crossland for two days, before I needed to return it to them. I called our local Audi garage in Stoke and they said that they could not provide a courtesy car until our Q7 was physically in their yard. I was told that it could take 2 to 3 weeks for the vehicle to be brought over from Calais. More calls to the AA in Lyon and eventually it was agreed Enterprise would provide a car in the interim. When we got back home, Enterprise in Stoke exchanged the Crossland for an automatic Audi TT. Audi were paying and we could keep it until the Q7 was fixed!

The Q7 arrived at Stoke just 2 weeks after the breakdown. They have now had it in the workshop and sent me the "Audi Cam" showing the seized turbo. Also a glow plug that was open circuit. The video checks the tyres and brakes, which were fine.

They reported that the "engine oil level was over full" for which they wanted £78 + vat to suck out the excess. I had been checking my app to see where the car was, and this warning had appeared in the last few days. I have not put any oil in since the same garage serviced the car in March! I do check the electronic level gauge occasionally, it has never been over full. Is this another problem lurking under the bonnet? They said in the video that they are going to check out the exhaust system, to ensure that there are no other issues. It could take a couple of weeks to get the parts.

I hope this saga is some use to you guys that travel to Europe. Apparently there is some problem with breakdown renewals transferring across to the AA systems. Check yours has, before you travel.

Seized turbo on a 3 litre diesel, 3 years old and only 13k miles. Seems poor. Service advisor told me components fail, even after 1k. He has not seen it happen on a Q7 before.

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Turbo Seized in France 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Mate I’m very sorry for what happened to you.
    It’s very strange that you had a bad turbo maybe, as you said, the problem is connected with overfill oil, this usually happens and diesel enters the oil during excessive dpf regenerations. If this is the case, during these cycles, the exhaust has temperature increases dramatically and maybe that’s what affected the turbo. Maybe there is the main problem with the dpf system…

0 1 0

3. Re: Turbo Seized in France 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    UPDATE

After getting the parts, the Audi garage have now realised that it is not as simple as first thought.

They considered that the turbo failure and the glow plug were not linked. In fact, they wanted to charge me 2 x £100 excess on my Audi warranty.

Now they are saying that a piece of the glow plug in cylinder 1 broke off and damaged the turbo on the way out. Apparently, cylinders 1 and 6 are showing low compression. They are now going to remove the cylinder head and see if the "rods" are bent. It could mean a new engine!

It has been suggested to me, that a faulty injector could have caused the glow plug failure.

Does this make sense to anyone?

At least they have extended the new A6 loan. (The MMI on that went blue screen this morning. Came back after I locked and unlocked the car)

Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Turbo Seized in France 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Which engine type code? Guessing it is a CVZA an engine is £12234.55 before fitting.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Turbo Seized in France 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher

3.0 TDI 258 PS 2018 4MB0E3/A8AHX

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

0 0 0

6. Re: Turbo Seized in France 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, CVZA engine
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0