1. Question A4 B7 brakes judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drive Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI 170 Lux (rebranded A4 B7). 2009, lovely car, an excellent very relaxed and quiet cruiser with plenty of power when I need it. Kind of a noob here, please be gentle.

Four years since installed front Brembo brake disks and rotors; after 50K miles they still have plenty of life (30%-40%?) on both. Unfortunately there is an issue with them which seems to get slightly worse every year.

• I can feel a gentle judder while braking.
    • The right front rotor is slightly warmer then the left (5-10C?)
    • The right rotor has lost a couple of mm more than the left

My garage recommends to get the full set of the new calipers, rotors and pads, quoted £700 which seems to be excessive. After a quick chat about the price they suggested that I could also wait till it gets worse.

I wonder if anyone can explain to me the implications of not fixing it now.
    • Is it a safety issue?
    • Can the judder eventually damage other parts of the suspension?
    • Do I have to replaces rotors and pads anyway or maybe replacing/cleaning calipers is enough?

A noob here, please be gentle .

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 B7 brakes judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    When the DISCS are removed, they need to check the runout of the hub does not exceed 0.03mm
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 B7 brakes judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    When the DISCS are removed, they need to check the runout of the hub does not exceed 0.03mm
    Thanks a lot. Google for what you said, makes total sense now, I've learned something new.

Anyway, I'm surprised that neither of the two top independent garages I visited suggested this. Will check another one that has a skimming machine, I'm sure they know how to measure this. Just in case they do find the runout to be out of specs, would you recommend replacing the hub or skimming the old/new rotors? I don't really plan to keep the car for more than a couple of years, if this helps.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 B7 brakes judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    No more than 0.02mm run out on the disc either, and like Crasher said start by checking the hub run out, the hubs are wafer thin and easily bent.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 B7 brakes judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPPERJACK76 View Post
    No more than 0.02mm run out on the disc either, and like Crasher said start by checking the hub run out, the hubs are wafer thin and easily bent.

Assuming they find it to be bent, what is the recommended option out of these?

• replace hubs, ball bearings plus caliper, rotors, pads
    • replace hubs without ball bearings plus caliper, rotors, pads
    • replace and skim rotors, plus replace calipers and pads
    • skim current rotors, replace caliper and pads

Just want to make sure I will do what is good for me, not what's good for the garage that I don't trust.

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 B7 brakes judder 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Replacing the calipers is probably not necessary, did they remove the wheels strip them down, I'm guessing not because they never mentioned checking the run out. Start with the hubs, have them checked if they are out you will need bearings with hubs, not a cheap job either parts are around 200 a side and seize in and can take a massive amount of persuasion to remove them. Then if you've gone that far some good quality discs and pads. Might as well ask for the front wheels to balanced while they have the wheels removed.

0 0 0