Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicat_vag View Post
    sorry, this would take me well into my immense "void of ignorance" but I do agree with your logic! My hesitation would be whether the screen is fine gauze or actually some form of diaphragm-like thing that is oil permeable, something like oil filter "paper"?

My instinct (note, instinct) says the former as it is probably a "lifetime" part, but you might be able to deduce things better as you have the control valves and bridge in front of you to peer into and figure where the oil channels are and thus how the screen might be working!

Seal, it will probably depend on where it gets put, i.e. does it have a channel to seat in, or is it just "put there"? I would have thought any appropriate O-ring of the correct diameter and thickness could be squished in... clearly not ideal, but as long as it will stay in place, and do its job....? ? pic of screen location ?

Other thing I would probably try is to contact vendors such as e c s tuning and see if you can get more info from them about the screen (i.e. what does it look/feel like?), but i'm guessing u probably already done that?! Ya never know, they might take pity on your predicament, even if they know they aren't gonna be selling u the part...?!
    Hi alicat_vag

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input. Totally agree the 2.8 V6 4 motion is awesome car to drive (read WAS)

From memory when I stripped the engine down it was like a piece of fine metal gauze with black edging (seal) I presume the metal gauze would protect the electrical valves/solenoids by stopping any dirt particles in the oil contaminating them.

When I stripped the engine down I recall it looked something like this but obviously oblong in shape to fit the recess in the control housing as shown in the photo below

golf 4.jpg golf 5.jpg

This is so frustrating such a small piece stops the build!!

0 0 0

2. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    ta for the excellent pics. The company that does the round ones, they don't have one in "your size", so to speak?
    So, looking at the "clean metal" area on the bridge, and where the screen/gasket goes, there's gotta be some form of a recess on the other face, otherwise cant see how the screen/gasket can compress to nothingness and yet not leave a mark, unless you have cleaned it off??

Hmm #1 : Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh Filter grading sheet Metal Silk to Heavy Gauze | eBay
    Hmm #2 : Solid Neoprene Rubber Gasket Sheet 130mm x 130mm x 3mm thick | eBay

Personally, I think I'd be digging out my micrometer, tin snips and a sharp Stanley right now?!

a

0 0 0

3. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    ta for the excellent pics. The company that does the round ones, they don't have one in "your size", so to speak?
    So, looking at the "clean metal" area on the bridge, and where the screen/gasket goes, there's gotta be some form of a recess on the other face, otherwise cant see how the screen/gasket can compress to nothingness and yet not leave a mark, unless you have cleaned it off??

Personally, I think I'd be digging out my micrometer, tin snips and a sharp Stanley right now?!

a
    Hi alicat_vag

Thanks again for hunting stuff out for me

In my photo the red line shows the mating face of the assembly to the end of the cylinder head, the little seal/screen I removed actually sat in the recessed area (please see photo below), it really is not very big at all, hence some of my annoyance at VW for not making a 50p piece available to the end user - owner etc.

In the second photo you can just make out the area on the end of the cylinder head face (I hope that makes sense?)

I have seen similar seals/screens used on some Audi engines a few years back but can not recall exactly which one (DOH) It was used in similar situation to help stop contaminated oil (Full of crude etc) entering the end of electrical sensors.

So I am currently thinking / wondering if I could put a very small (Less than 1mm) bead of VW approved sealant D 176 501 A1 on the face of the Control assembly block (in the area of the red line) and bolt it up to the cylinder head?
    This would seal the oil hole (in the cylinder head) to the recess in the control block?

Or am being optimistic?

golf 5.jpg

20210901_114719.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Hi
    Sorry, i think the red line had covered the recess!!
    the other face i can see the outline, thanks.
    I use virko sealant for this sort of thing, i think that’s the same stuff you suggest.
    It should work, only downside is the absence of a screen, i guess.
    Would one of those round ones you showed earlier, are they too big/whatever?
    You’ll just have to make sure you keep to that good oil change regimen, which i’m sure u will, given all the love that engine has had recently!!

0 0 0

5. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I'm kinda wondering now if only sealant will be enough, if the oil pressure is high in this location? The sealant is typically used in low pressure situations, like sump to block, timing cover to head, etc isnt it?
    I think I would go with a gasket, to be on the safer side, this is available in 1mm thickness and others
    Neoprene Rubber Sheet –Solid Black Smooth–1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5.5mm & 6mm | eBay
    As I said before, I'm well into the void of ignorance here...

0 0 0

6. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I'm kinda wondering now if only sealant will be enough, if the oil pressure is high in this location? The sealant is typically used in low pressure situations, like sump to block, timing cover to head, etc isnt it?
    I think I would go with a gasket, to be on the safer side, this is available in 1mm thickness and others
    Neoprene Rubber Sheet –Solid Black Smooth–1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5.5mm & 6mm | eBay
    As I said before, I'm well into the void of ignorance here...
    Hi alicat_vag

After a little investigation I think a majority of cars have an oil pressure of 2 > 4 bar so I would agree with you the sealant would struggle to cope with the pressure and I think it would soon give in

I feel like I have struck GOLD (no I have not found the seal/filter that I removed)

I found an complete engine for sale in Birmingham (30 miles away from me) got a 50mm hole in the sump, but a complete engine, with all ancillaries etc and very cheap!!

So did the deal with the bloke, went over collected the engine 3 blokes lifted the engine in to the back of Astra estate!!

Got back home, stripped most of the engine down while in the back of the car, then man handled parts out.

Any way I now have the required seal/filter and as you can see it is not very big, I am still surprised that VW do NOT sell this!!??

It is actually VERY fine nylon (or similar) mesh with the Orange gasket as part of it (see photos below) I can now continue with the engine build / install on Sunday

Thanks all for the help etc

here it is.jpg

nylon.jpg

0 0 0

7. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    awesome, but a tad extreme, must have been the most expensive gasket ever bought, but it DOES come with a free engine ����
    So the gasket goes inside that port area, i was envisaging it on the face… live and learn ��
    So… should all get done this weekend now, excellent!
    Do let us know when the sweet sound of the exhaust is once again the talk of your neighbourhood…
    s

0 0 0

8. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    awesome, but a tad extreme, must have been the most expensive gasket ever bought, but it DOES come with a free engine ����
    So the gasket goes inside that port area, i was envisaging it on the face… live and learn ��
    So… should all get done this weekend now, excellent!
    Do let us know when the sweet sound of the exhaust is once again the talk of your neighbourhood…
    s
    Every day is a lesson in live and cars

We should try and learn something new every day

Had a load of family stuff to sort over the weekend but on it full speed ahead after I finish work every day/evening this week, make the most of the daylight

Hope fully I can start smiling again soon

0 0 0

9. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Quick update, engine back in and open ports etc covered over.

Before installing the inlet manifold etc I want to check the wiring down to the Oil level sensor G266 (please see earlier post relating to this - Please Help Golf Mk4 VR6 4Motion - Oil Sensor Workshop - Yellow oil can - Message Displayed HELP Please)

So regarding this fault, with the wiring currently removed from the engine I intend to complete various test etc to try and pin the fault down ETC

Address 17: Instruments
    VCID: 285F9E85C8228801A7-5140
    WVWZZZ1JZ3D014338 VWZ6Z0B0246226

01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
    49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
    00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
    30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
    30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

It is very irritating the fault and it always blows the fuse to the Climatronic unit!!

I am now on holiday for a couple of weeks so this post will stall until I return.

golf1.jpg golf2.jpg

0 0 0

10. Re: Goly Mk4 V6 2.8 24valve How do you remove the camshafts - VVT unit?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Well returned form a few family days away, to find something/someone as scored all down passenger side of the car and rear quarter!!!!

So after having the local spray guy round (he lives 6 houses away from me) and given my a quote to basically paint the whole side of the car.

It is with heavy heart I have decided to break the car, I just cannot afford to get it sorted out!!

I will be listing the cars on Ebay etc

Yet again many thanks to all the kind help and assistance, such a mine of information

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123